- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
EURO 2012 LIVE: Spain vs. Ireland
Here is a running account of Thursday’s action. All times are local to Poland.
2227: What a finish from Fabregas. Spain wins a corner after a great save from Given who tips a Santi Cazorla curler round the post. The resulting corner finds Fabregas, who takes it wide before blasting the ball in off the far post. Given had no chance of saving it. Superbly taken goal and after that you can understand why Vicente del Bosque started him as a striker against Italy. Four minutes left to play here at the PGE Arena. Ireland are moments away from becoming the first team to be eliminated from the European Championship.
2220: Xavi shoots from a free kick from 30 yards, but it sails wide. A little over 10 minutes left to play here in Gdansk. James McClean comes on for Ireland, replacing Damien Duff. For Spain, Andres Iniesta is withdrawn and Santi Cazorla comes on in his palce.
2217: A rare chance for the Irish _ with Robbie Keane nearly getting one back. He gets the ball on the left of the penalty area and is in some space. He fires low across the goal but Casillas gets down well and meets the shot with a strong hand. Good effort from the LA Galaxy striker and Ireland captain.
2214: It is too easy for Spain. Iniesta wins the ball on the halfway line with a challenge and the ball rolls to David Silva. He finds the run of Torres with a great pass and Torres runs on, unopposed and fires low past Given into the corner of the net for his second of the game. It’s his last taste of the action, immediately replaced by substitute Cesc Fabregas.
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Obama tries to calm Israeli fears over Iranian nuke deal 'not based on trust'
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
A stat-head’s outlook, direct from his worn in couch cushion.
Classical music and the performing arts: news and reviews you can use.
Covering the world of soccer, including the World Cup, Major League Soccer, D.C. United and the English Premier League and other interesting sporting events.
White House pets gone wild!