- Country singer Tim McGraw not sorry for slapping female fan: ‘Things happen’
- Iraq vet cited for owning 14 therapeutic pet ducks
- White House takes credit for drop in unaccompanied children at border
- International crises be damned, Obama’s fundraising trip must go on
- Friend of bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev found guilty of impeding probe
- Train with MH17 plane crash bodies leaves rebel town in Ukraine
- Half of Colorado voters are OK with Hobby Lobby decision, poll shows
- HIV-killing condom to soon hit shelves in Australia
- Estonia pulls plug on Steven Seagal over praise for Putin
- Lawyer: Pelvic exam pics cost Hopkins $190 million
EURO 2012 LIVE: Spain vs. Ireland
Question of the Day
Here is a running account of Thursday’s action. All times are local to Poland.
2227: What a finish from Fabregas. Spain wins a corner after a great save from Given who tips a Santi Cazorla curler round the post. The resulting corner finds Fabregas, who takes it wide before blasting the ball in off the far post. Given had no chance of saving it. Superbly taken goal and after that you can understand why Vicente del Bosque started him as a striker against Italy. Four minutes left to play here at the PGE Arena. Ireland are moments away from becoming the first team to be eliminated from the European Championship.
2220: Xavi shoots from a free kick from 30 yards, but it sails wide. A little over 10 minutes left to play here in Gdansk. James McClean comes on for Ireland, replacing Damien Duff. For Spain, Andres Iniesta is withdrawn and Santi Cazorla comes on in his palce.
2217: A rare chance for the Irish _ with Robbie Keane nearly getting one back. He gets the ball on the left of the penalty area and is in some space. He fires low across the goal but Casillas gets down well and meets the shot with a strong hand. Good effort from the LA Galaxy striker and Ireland captain.
2214: It is too easy for Spain. Iniesta wins the ball on the halfway line with a challenge and the ball rolls to David Silva. He finds the run of Torres with a great pass and Torres runs on, unopposed and fires low past Given into the corner of the net for his second of the game. It’s his last taste of the action, immediately replaced by substitute Cesc Fabregas.
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- Edward Snowden to work with Russia on anti-spy technology
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- Rihanna, Dwight Howard delete #FreePalestine tweets
- U.S. scrambles as violence escalates in Israel-Hamas conflict
- Ron Paul: U.S. partly to blame for Malaysia Airlines disaster
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- EDITORIAL: Snipers from the left target Hillary
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq