- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
EURO 2012 LIVE: Spain vs. Ireland
Here is a running account of Thursday’s action. All times are local to Poland.
2227: What a finish from Fabregas. Spain wins a corner after a great save from Given who tips a Santi Cazorla curler round the post. The resulting corner finds Fabregas, who takes it wide before blasting the ball in off the far post. Given had no chance of saving it. Superbly taken goal and after that you can understand why Vicente del Bosque started him as a striker against Italy. Four minutes left to play here at the PGE Arena. Ireland are moments away from becoming the first team to be eliminated from the European Championship.
2220: Xavi shoots from a free kick from 30 yards, but it sails wide. A little over 10 minutes left to play here in Gdansk. James McClean comes on for Ireland, replacing Damien Duff. For Spain, Andres Iniesta is withdrawn and Santi Cazorla comes on in his palce.
2217: A rare chance for the Irish _ with Robbie Keane nearly getting one back. He gets the ball on the left of the penalty area and is in some space. He fires low across the goal but Casillas gets down well and meets the shot with a strong hand. Good effort from the LA Galaxy striker and Ireland captain.
2214: It is too easy for Spain. Iniesta wins the ball on the halfway line with a challenge and the ball rolls to David Silva. He finds the run of Torres with a great pass and Torres runs on, unopposed and fires low past Given into the corner of the net for his second of the game. It’s his last taste of the action, immediately replaced by substitute Cesc Fabregas.
By Emily Miller
Billionaire gets mobbed by fans at CPAC
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- 'Holy grail of guitars' among those in N.Y. auction
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again