- DOJ reaches largest-ever federal government settlement over auto loan discrimination
- U.S. Navy to start giving gay couples marriage benefits in Japan
- Sen. Harry Reid goes to hospital as a precaution
- Fla.’s Trey Radel exits rehab, ‘excited’ to resume congressional role
- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
‘Diablo III’ tops list of video game sales in May
Question of the Day
NEW YORK (AP) - U.S. retail sales of video-game hardware, software and accessories fell for a sixth consecutive month in May.
According to market tracker NPD Group, sales fell 28 percent from a year earlier to $517 million. The study tracks sales of new physical products _ about 50 percent to 60 percent of the total spending. Excluded are sales of used games and rentals as well as digital and social-network spending.
Sales of console and portable software _ the video games themselves _ fell 32 percent from a year earlier to $255 million, while sales of hardware fell 39 percent to $139 million. That was offset partly by a 7 percent increase in sales of accessories, to $122 million.
NPD also listed the top-selling games in May and said it was the first time since July 2010 that a PC-only game was a top seller for the month.
The top 10 are:
1. "Diablo III" for PCs, Activision Blizzard Inc.
2. "Max Payne 3" for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PCs, Take-Two Interactive Software Inc.
3. "Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier" for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Ubisoft Group.
4. "Prototype 2" for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Activision Blizzard Inc.
5. "NBA 2K12" for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2, PCs, Take-Two Interactive Software Inc.
6. "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3" for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, PCs, Activision Blizzard Inc.
7. "Sniper Elite V2" for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, 505 Games
8. "Battlefield 3" for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PCs, Electronic Arts Inc.
9. "Dragon's Dogma" for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Capcom USA
10. "Just Dance 3" for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, Ubisoft Group.
Microsoft Corp. makes the Xbox 360, Sony Corp. makes the PlayStation devices and Nintendo Co. makes the Wii.
By Michael P. Orsi
Edward Snowden should declare his patriotism in court
- Huge backlash mounts over suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- D.C. to tout Obamacare among youth waiting for Air Jordans
- Dems use new filibuster rules to approve DHS nominee Alejandro Mayorkas under investigation
- TARGET credit card theft swells to 40 million victims
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Special ops vets slam military benefit cuts
- Deportations under Obama plunged to just 1 percent last year
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- EDITORIAL: Red faces at the White House
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
We’re human: we don’t always think things through, so we accept many ideas that are, well, ideas that are wrong. We also look past certain truths without recognizing them.
Consummate traveler Todd DeFeo explores the unique stories that make destinations worth going to.
Happiness is attainable. Morning to night. I love to teach, deal with folks that have an issue and really wish to tackle it and write.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow