- Motolotov cocktail thrown a Brooklyn mini-mart
- 3 Americans dead in shooting at Kabul hospital by Afghan guard
- Running on empty: EPA slashes biofuel goals because of ethanol shortage
- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
‘Madagascar 3’ stampedes, ‘Rock,’ Sandler flop
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Zoo animals remain hot at the box office. Singing stars and Adam Sandler are not.
Ben Stiller and his voice co-stars of “Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted” held on to the No. 1 spot again, with $35.5 million for the animated sequel’s second weekend in domestic theaters.
Studio estimates Sunday put Ridley Scott’s sci-fi adventure “Prometheus” at No. 2 again with $20.2 million.
“Madagascar 3” and “Prometheus” held off two under-achieving newcomers. The star-studded musical “Rock of Ages,” whose cast includes Tom Cruise, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Alec Baldwin, flopped at No. 3 with $15.1 million.
Sandler’s “That’s My Boy” bombed with $13 million, the worst showing for one of his broad comedies since the mid-1990s. “That’s My Boy” came in at No. 5, behind the $13.8 million for “Snow White & the Huntsman,” a film that’s been out for three weekends already.
“Sure, we would have liked to have done more,” said Rory Bruer, head of distribution at Sony, which released “That’s My Boy” and most of Sandler’s past movies. “But you’ve got to give it to Adam. He mixes it up. This is a really off-the-wall comedy.”
“That’s My Boy” stars Sandler as a guy who became a fleeting teen celebrity after getting his seventh-grade teacher pregnant and now is a middle-aged loser trying to reconnect with his son (Andy Samberg).
As with most Sandler movies, the reviews were bad, but that usually does not stop his audience of young males from showing up.
The R rating for “That’s My Boy” may have cut into the movie’s business, prohibiting those under 17 from seeing it without an adult. Sandler’s comedies usually are rated PG-13.
But Sandler has plenty of fans in their late teens and 20s, and that crowd had little interest in “That’s My Boy.”
Among Sandler’s mainstream live-action comedies, it was the worst debut since 1996’s “Happy Gilmore,” which played in far fewer theaters than “That’s My Boy” and came as Sandler was just climbing to stardom. And factoring in today’s higher admission prices, “That’s My Boy” sold fewer tickets than “Happy Gilmore.”
Some of Sandler’s handful of comic dramas and other more serious movies did less business than “That’s My Boy.” But even his 2000 bomb “Little Nicky” opened bigger, with $16.1 million in its first weekend.
Sandler has been one of Hollywood’s steadiest earners since the late 1990s, with hits such as “The Longest Yard,” “Anger Management,” “Big Daddy” and “Grown-ups” opening with more than $40 million and becoming $100 million hits.
Sony remains high on Sandler, backing his upcoming animated comedy “Hotel Transylvania,” along with “Grown-ups 2.”
“It’s a good business to be in, the Adam Sandler business,” Bruer said.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- CURL: Obama's foreign policy even worse than his domestic policy
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Jimmy Carter: Dont hurt Russian people with sanctions
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014