- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Senate Dems wary of immigration politics
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
EURO 2012 LIVE: Final Group C matches
Question of the Day
WARSAW, POLAND (AP) - Defending champion Spain beat Croatia 1-0 with a late goal, while Italy beat Ireland 2-0 in the final Group C matches at the European Championship. Both teams advanced to the last eight, with the Spanish topping the group.
Here is a running account of Monday’s action. All times are local to Poland.
2245: So Group C has been resolved and Tuesday will see the last two places in the knockout stage of the competition accounted for from Group D. England plays co-host Ukraine while France takes on Sweden, who are already out of the competition. England, Ukraine and France can all still qualify, but Ukraine knows only a win will do and all eyes will be on national idol Andriy Shevchenko to lead the side to victory. The group winner will take on Italy while the runner up will face defending champion Spain.
2242: So Spain goes through as winner of Group C and Italy is the runner up. Italy deserved to win, while Spain was pushed all the way by Croatia, who will look back upon Srna’s missed header as the best chance to have taken something from the game. That was Bilic’s last match taking charge of the Croatian national team.
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Brian Kelly, Notre Dame ready for different route to title
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq