- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Middle-class seniors not faring well
Where does the Federal Reserve get the idea that, as Nita Ghei put it in a recent Op-Ed, “Granny and Grandpa … are doing quite well … seeing their incomes jump 12 percent” (“The poorer middle class,” Friday)? What planet is the Fed on?
I am a widowed “granny” on a fixed income, and I have seen my cash flow decline rapidly. I am not alone. Senior home values, incomes, investments, CDs and IRAs have all declined just as drastically as the assets of any other demographic group.
In some instances, ours have gone down more. We are also harder hit by medical, food and energy costs and tax increases. Maybe the Fed’s computations were based on overpaid, retired government workers with their fat pensions and health care, or wealthy lobbyists who abound in Washington.
I assure you, the average middle-class “granny and grandpa” are not doing all that well.
Oak Hill, Va.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Glenn Beck takes on Hollywood with big movie production plans
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee