- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Middle-class seniors not faring well
Where does the Federal Reserve get the idea that, as Nita Ghei put it in a recent Op-Ed, “Granny and Grandpa … are doing quite well … seeing their incomes jump 12 percent” (“The poorer middle class,” Friday)? What planet is the Fed on?
I am a widowed “granny” on a fixed income, and I have seen my cash flow decline rapidly. I am not alone. Senior home values, incomes, investments, CDs and IRAs have all declined just as drastically as the assets of any other demographic group.
In some instances, ours have gone down more. We are also harder hit by medical, food and energy costs and tax increases. Maybe the Fed’s computations were based on overpaid, retired government workers with their fat pensions and health care, or wealthy lobbyists who abound in Washington.
I assure you, the average middle-class “granny and grandpa” are not doing all that well.
Oak Hill, Va.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Get Breaking Alerts
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- House votes for bargain to end budget drama
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Jane Fonda Foundation fails to make single contribution in 5 years: report
- Atheists smug as Hindus join Satanists to demand display at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service