- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Middle-class seniors not faring well
Question of the Day
Where does the Federal Reserve get the idea that, as Nita Ghei put it in a recent Op-Ed, “Granny and Grandpa … are doing quite well … seeing their incomes jump 12 percent” (“The poorer middle class,” Friday)? What planet is the Fed on?
I am a widowed “granny” on a fixed income, and I have seen my cash flow decline rapidly. I am not alone. Senior home values, incomes, investments, CDs and IRAs have all declined just as drastically as the assets of any other demographic group.
In some instances, ours have gone down more. We are also harder hit by medical, food and energy costs and tax increases. Maybe the Fed’s computations were based on overpaid, retired government workers with their fat pensions and health care, or wealthy lobbyists who abound in Washington.
I assure you, the average middle-class “granny and grandpa” are not doing all that well.
Oak Hill, Va.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
Get Breaking Alerts
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- ON THE RUN: Competition for Redskins backup running back is heating up