- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Miller right on target
Question of the Day
Emily Miller has done it again, this time with her fascinating four-part series concerning Army 1st Sgt. Matthew Corrigan (“Breaking doors and the Constitution,” Commentary, Wednesday). Bravo. This is the type of thorough investigative journalism America should expect from all media.
The fourth part of the series ended last week with Miss Miller exposing the corruption of the Metropolitan Police Department. Sgt. Corrigan endured the unauthorized search of his house, wrongful incarceration in the D.C. jail and confiscation of his guns. Additionally, the police were not truthful - all this because Sgt. Corrigan dared to possess unregistered guns in his home.
The Constitution trumps local or state laws. It is the supreme law of the land. Can Sgt. Corrigan not be trusted with his firepower? Has he demonstrated symptoms of a madman? No. This governmental behavior borders on what we see in Third World countries.
On a near-daily basis, I read of the corruption of D.C. officials in one form or another. The residents of the city are overtaxed and overregulated. Crime has been and remains out of control (since gun laws only have an impact on law-abiding citizens). The schools continue to turn out undereducated children. Can we say Washington is a failed district?
FRED C. SEBLY
Mount Airy, Md.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'