- DOJ reaches largest-ever federal government settlement over auto loan discrimination
- U.S. Navy to start giving gay couples marriage benefits in Japan
- Sen. Harry Reid goes to hospital as a precaution
- Fla.’s Trey Radel exits rehab, ‘excited’ to resume congressional role
- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
Shows boost box office take a week after Tonys
Question of the Day
NEW YORK (AP) - Tony Award-winning shows got a financial bounce last week on Broadway, with "Once," "Newsies," "One Man, Two Govnors," the revival of "Porgy and Bess" and "Venus in Fur" among the biggest winners.
"Once," which was named best musical, improved $110,019 over the week before, hauling in $955,362 for the week ending Sunday. "One Man, Two Govnors" pulled in $648,505 for the week ending Sunday, its best sales week yet and $68,396 more than last week. Its leader, James Corden, won the best leading actor Tony last Sunday.
"Newsies," which earned Tonys for best score and choreography, broke the house record at the Nederlander Theatre with a gross of $1,049,581, and an increase over the eight previous shows of $52,515. And Nina Arianda's win for best actress in a play may have helped boost its bottom line $213,407 over the previous week to end at $635,622.
"The Gershwins' Pory and Bess" saw a slight uptick of $73,253 to $655,364 after it was crowned best musical revival and Audra McDonald took home the best musical actress Tony.
By John McAfee
- Breaking Fad: Alligators becoming the new pit bulls for drug dealers, cops say
- D.C. to tout Obamacare among youth waiting for Air Jordans
- Huge backlash mounts over suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- TARGET credit card theft swells to 40 million victims
- Special ops vets slam military benefit cuts
- Obama: 2014 will be 'breakthrough year' for U.S.
- Dems use new filibuster rules to approve DHS nominee Alejandro Mayorkas under investigation
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow