The Obama administration reversed course Monday and agreed to fully implement a controversial school voucher program that provides federal tuition assistance to a limited number of D.C. youths despite historically mixed opinion of the program among city leaders and the White House’s own efforts to eliminate it.
House Speaker John A. Boehner, Ohio Republican, and Sen. Joe Lieberman, Connecticut independent - two high-profile supporters of vouchers- announced Monday that they had struck an agreement with the U.S. Department of Education to carry out the program with no specific cap on enrollment, so both new and existing enrollees can apply to the program.
Mr. Obama had not included any funding for the politically sensitive scholarship program in his fiscal 2013 budget proposal, part of a trend by his administration since 2009 to phase out the program by funding only existing enrollees.
The agreement builds on a “dramatic explosion” of school-choice initiatives across the country, totaling 25 bills in 13 states over the past two legislative cycles, said Robert Enlow, president and CEO of the Friedman Foundation for Educational Choice.
“The reality is the [D.C] program is helping children do better,” he said. “It’s really good they have reversed course on this and don’t want to get in a big fight with Congress.”
Rep. Darrell E. Issa, California Republican, and Rep. Trey Gowdy, South Carolina Republican, who are charged with oversight of D.C. affairs, said in a joint statement Monday that they are “pleased that the Obama administration has apparently given up on its opposition to fully implementing this bipartisan initiative.”
D.C. Mayor Vincent C. Gray has said the city will act “with fidelity” to implement the scholarship program despite his long-standing objections to it.
Mr. Boehner said the agreement is “consistent with the law already on the books,” namely the Scholarships for Opportunity and Results (SOAR) Act of 2011, which Mr. Obama signed during last year’s springtime budget standoff. The legislation, which Mr. Boehner and Mr. Lieberman pushed to passage, renewed the scholarship program for five years and mandated that an annual federal payment of $60 million be split in equal thirds among the program, D.C. Public Schools and public charter schools in the District.
Mr. Boehner’s spokesman said congressional leaders expect the program to be fully funded at $20 million in light of the Obama administration’s commitment, “and we will work to make sure that happens.”
The administration’s depiction of Monday’s development was more limited in scope than that of Capitol Hill lawmakers, who claimed Mr. Obama had “reversed course” through the agreement. The U.S. Department of Education said that rather than an open-ended program, it wants to increase enrollment from 1,615 to about 1,700 students for the coming year to allow for a “statistically valid evaluation of the program, as directed by Congress.”
“The president and I are committed to ensuring that the education of the children currently in [the program] is not disrupted,” Education Secretary Arne Duncan said through a spokesman. “Beyond that commitment, however, we remain convinced that our time and resources are best spent on reforming the public school system to benefit all students, and we look forward to working with Congress in a bipartisan manner to advance that goal.”
The National Education Association shares that position because vouchers “divert essential resources from public schools to private and religious schools,” according to its website.
Congress established the D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program in 2004, a first-of-its-kind program for the city’s parents who want to send their disadvantaged children to Catholic schools or other private options instead of struggling public schools.
The new agreement would allow for new enrollees with new scholarships, said Ed Davies, vice president of external affairs for the D.C. Children & Youth Investment Corp., which administers the program.
The program has been a political flash point since then and even surfaced in this year’s presidential race. Mitt Romney, the presumptive Republican nominee, denounced Mr. Obama’s stance on the campaign trail last month, declaring it “inexcusable” for the president to try to shut down the program.View Entire Story
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Tom Howell Jr. covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By Elaine Donnelly
Extending sexual misconduct to combat units
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
Entertainment News and Reviews from Washington, D.C. and beyond.
Columns from Voices around the World talking about the events, people, politics and social issues that concern us wherever, and whoever, we are.
Video reviews of today's hottest trends in Minecraft (servers and mods) along with a look at the latest video games with your host MCairsoft14 (alias Jerad Zad).
Covering the world of soccer, including the World Cup, Major League Soccer, D.C. United and the English Premier League and other interesting sporting events.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention