- Families of ferry’s lost confront South Korean officials
- 2-week truce for Sriracha hot sauce maker, California city
- NYC’s de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
With uncertainty looming, Caps release 2012-13 schedule
New CBA must be negotiated for everything to happen on time
PITTSBURGH — Benjamin Franklin made it famous that nothing in life can be certain except death and taxes. So even as the NHL schedule was released Thursday, there’s no guarantee it’ll play out as scheduled.
With the collective bargaining agreement set to expire Sept. 15, there’s a sense around the league that a lockout could cost at least some regular-season action.
“I’m hopeful that we’re playing,” Washington Capitals general manager George McPhee said last week.
“That’s for other people to talk about. I’m a hockey operations guy, and I’m trying to make a team.”
If a new CBA is agreed upon on time, the Caps will open the 2012-13 regular season at Verizon Center Oct. 12 against the defending Eastern Conference-champion New Jersey Devils.
Their longest road trip of the season is just four games, the annual horse show swing in late October that includes games at the Montreal Canadiens, Winnipeg Jets, Calgary Flames and Minnesota Wild.
Of the Caps’ 41 scheduled home games, 18 are slated to be played on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. They won’t host former coach Bruce Boudreau and the Anaheim Ducks but visit Feb. 13.
The Caps are set to face the Pittsburgh Penguins on New Year’s Eve at Consol Energy Center.
As far as Western Conference opponents go, they’re scheduled to see the Nashville Predators, Dallas Stars and defending Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings at home and on the road. The Kings visit Washington on Super Bowl Sunday.
The season finale would be April 13 at home against the Tampa Bay Lighting. But the entire 82-game schedule, of course, is pending a new CBA. Negotiations have not yet begun, according to recent comments by commissioner Gary Bettman.
CAPITALS 2012-13 SCHEDULE
Fri., Oct. 12 New Jersey 7 p.m.
Sat., Oct. 13 at Ottawa 7 p.m.
Mon., Oct. 15 Florida 7 p.m.
Weds., Oct. 17 Toronto 7:30 p.m.
Fri., Oct. 19 Winnipeg 7 p.m.
Sat., Oct. 20 at Montreal 7 p.m.
Tues., Oct. 23 at Winnipeg 8 p.m.
Sat., Oct. 27 at Calgary 10 p.m.
Mon., Oct. 29 at Minnesota 8 p.m.
Weds., Oct. 31 Pittsburgh 7:30 p.m.
Fri., Nov. 2 Boston 7 p.m.
Sun., Nov. 4 Dallas 5 p.m.
Tues., Nov. 6 at Tampa Bay 7:30 p.m
Thurs., Nov. 8 Edmonton 7 p.m.
Sat., Nov. 10 Toronto 7 p.m.
Weds., Nov. 14 at N.Y. Rangers 7:30 p.m.
Fri., Nov. 16 N.Y. Rangers 7 p.m.
Sun., Nov. 18 Florida 5 p.m.
Weds., Nov. 21 Winnipeg 7 p.m.
Fri., Nov. 23 at Dallas 8 p.m.
Sun., Nov. 25 at St. Louis 7 p.m.
Tues., Nov. 27 San Jose 7 p.m.
Thurs., Nov. 29 at Florida 7:30 p.m.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- WHYNO: Tomas Vokoun gets unexpected Stanley Cup shot with Penguins
- Brandon Meriweather, Redskins' secondary ready for bounceback year
- Kirk Cousins embraces role as Redskins' offseason starter as RG3 rehabs from injury
- Capitals notes: Realignment won't prompt roster remake
- Despite Caps' first-round playoff exit, Adam Oates' first season as coach left a positive taste
Latest Blog Entries
- Redskins injury updates (5/23): WR Pierre Garcon, CB Josh Wilson each had labrum surgery
- Capitals 'love' Matt Hendricks, but how much?
- Wojtek Wolski signs in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League
- Tom Poti won't return to Capitals, plans to continue his NHL career
- Is Tom Wilson ready to be a regular for Capitals?
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Rand Paul: Bundy's racist remarks are 'offensive'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014