- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
With uncertainty looming, Caps release 2012-13 schedule
New CBA must be negotiated for everything to happen on time
PITTSBURGH — Benjamin Franklin made it famous that nothing in life can be certain except death and taxes. So even as the NHL schedule was released Thursday, there’s no guarantee it’ll play out as scheduled.
With the collective bargaining agreement set to expire Sept. 15, there’s a sense around the league that a lockout could cost at least some regular-season action.
“I’m hopeful that we’re playing,” Washington Capitals general manager George McPhee said last week.
“That’s for other people to talk about. I’m a hockey operations guy, and I’m trying to make a team.”
If a new CBA is agreed upon on time, the Caps will open the 2012-13 regular season at Verizon Center Oct. 12 against the defending Eastern Conference-champion New Jersey Devils.
Their longest road trip of the season is just four games, the annual horse show swing in late October that includes games at the Montreal Canadiens, Winnipeg Jets, Calgary Flames and Minnesota Wild.
Of the Caps’ 41 scheduled home games, 18 are slated to be played on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. They won’t host former coach Bruce Boudreau and the Anaheim Ducks but visit Feb. 13.
The Caps are set to face the Pittsburgh Penguins on New Year’s Eve at Consol Energy Center.
As far as Western Conference opponents go, they’re scheduled to see the Nashville Predators, Dallas Stars and defending Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings at home and on the road. The Kings visit Washington on Super Bowl Sunday.
The season finale would be April 13 at home against the Tampa Bay Lighting. But the entire 82-game schedule, of course, is pending a new CBA. Negotiations have not yet begun, according to recent comments by commissioner Gary Bettman.
CAPITALS 2012-13 SCHEDULE
Fri., Oct. 12 New Jersey 7 p.m.
Sat., Oct. 13 at Ottawa 7 p.m.
Mon., Oct. 15 Florida 7 p.m.
Weds., Oct. 17 Toronto 7:30 p.m.
Fri., Oct. 19 Winnipeg 7 p.m.
Sat., Oct. 20 at Montreal 7 p.m.
Tues., Oct. 23 at Winnipeg 8 p.m.
Sat., Oct. 27 at Calgary 10 p.m.
Mon., Oct. 29 at Minnesota 8 p.m.
Weds., Oct. 31 Pittsburgh 7:30 p.m.
Fri., Nov. 2 Boston 7 p.m.
Sun., Nov. 4 Dallas 5 p.m.
Tues., Nov. 6 at Tampa Bay 7:30 p.m
Thurs., Nov. 8 Edmonton 7 p.m.
Sat., Nov. 10 Toronto 7 p.m.
Weds., Nov. 14 at N.Y. Rangers 7:30 p.m.
Fri., Nov. 16 N.Y. Rangers 7 p.m.
Sun., Nov. 18 Florida 5 p.m.
Weds., Nov. 21 Winnipeg 7 p.m.
Fri., Nov. 23 at Dallas 8 p.m.
Sun., Nov. 25 at St. Louis 7 p.m.
Tues., Nov. 27 San Jose 7 p.m.
Thurs., Nov. 29 at Florida 7:30 p.m.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- WHYNO: Tomas Vokoun gets unexpected Stanley Cup shot with Penguins
- Brandon Meriweather, Redskins' secondary ready for bounceback year
- Kirk Cousins embraces role as Redskins' offseason starter as RG3 rehabs from injury
- Capitals notes: Realignment won't prompt roster remake
- Despite Caps' first-round playoff exit, Adam Oates' first season as coach left a positive taste
Latest Blog Entries
- Redskins injury updates (5/23): WR Pierre Garcon, CB Josh Wilson each had labrum surgery
- Capitals 'love' Matt Hendricks, but how much?
- Wojtek Wolski signs in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League
- Tom Poti won't return to Capitals, plans to continue his NHL career
- Is Tom Wilson ready to be a regular for Capitals?
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Hillary swoons at admitted illegal immigrant: 'Wow,' you're 'incredibly brave'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.