- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Serena Williams has ‘no intention of stopping’
Sharapova reached the semifinals at the All England Club in 2005 and 2006, but then went through a four-year stretch when she lost twice in the second round and twice in the fourth. Last year, the Russian made it back to the final _ her first at a Grand Slam tournament since the 2008 Australian Open _ before losing to Petra Kvitova.
“It was definitely a big step for me in the right direction,” Sharapova said. “It had been a while.”
It’s been a while right now for Williams, who isn’t used to long stretches between Grand Slam titles. Her last came two years ago at Wimbledon; less than a week later, she cut her feet on glass at a restaurant, precipitating a string of health problems that sidelined her for three majors in a row.
The only time in her Grand Slam career that she went more than two years without winning one of the sport’s top four events came during a gap from the 1999 U.S. Open until the 2002 French Open _ and her title in Paris back then began a run of four consecutive major championships.
For someone who loves holding up trophies, that must have been fun.
Follow Howard Fendrich on Twitter at http://twitter.com/HowardFendrich
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Hustler sent to every congressional office since 1983
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.