- Pope Francis wins another ‘Person of the Year’ — from gay rights magazine
- Rep. Steve Stockman: Give my campaign $10, and you’ll get an Obama barf bag
- Putin: Russia to buy $15 billion in Ukraine bonds
- Expert: Obamacare ‘death spiral’ fears exaggerated
- Alabama firefighters dig for survivors of apartment blast
- Big Sur wildfire destroys home of firefighting chief
- ‘ ’Twas the Night Before Christmas’ set for mock trial to argue authorship
- Angela Merkel’s third term as Germany’s chancellor to be marked by move to left
- Mega Millions entices with record-setting jackpot: Half a billion so far
- Dennis Rodman heads to North Korea — despite execution, political purge
EURO 2012 LIVE: HT: England 0, Italy 0
2114: Johnson has slipped over twice now when quickly changing direction and sprinting after the ball. That decision to water the pitch 15 minutes before kick off seems to be hindering the England defender and perhaps a change of footwear could be in order. Mind you, nobody else seems to be suffering in the same way.
2110: Wayne Rooney has started to play a bit deeper in the last five minutes or so. Andrea Pirlo, the midfield dangerman who won the 2006 World Cup with Italy, has yet to see much of the ball and the Italians will have to bring him into the game more if they want to gain a greater control of the play.
2106: The English are definitely enjoying the better of the early proceedings and look threatening going forward. Both Roy Hodgson and Cesare Prandelli have spent time in their technical areas barking out instructions to the their players but you would expect it is Hodgson who is the happier with the start to the game.
2100: Another great chance for England. Johnson swings an inviting cross into the penalty area from the right and Rooney bends his run to meet the delivery, but he flicks his diving header well over the bar under pressure from a defender.
2058: England seems to be encouraged by that chance from Johnson, with Wayne Rooney breaking away down the left to force a corner. The Italians clear the imminent pressure but the ball is crossed back into the center and, after an unorthodox punch away from Buffon, Parker drills the ball wide from outside the penalty area.
2052: And now it’s England’s turn to go close. England works the ball down the right and Milner delivers a low cross into the penalty area and after a couple of deflections, it lands between the feet of Johnson. The right back eventually gets his shot away and it seems destined for the back of the net from close range but Buffon makes a splendid save, clawing the ball up in the air and catching the rebound.
2050: So close! De Rossi sends a left-footed shot on the bounce crashing off the post. The ball is pulled back to the midfield man who, with the outside of his boot, sends a shot swerving onto the face of the left post from 25 yards, with an outstretched Hart in the England goal comprehensively beaten. Early letoff for Roy Hodgson’s side.
By John R. Bolton
The president fiddles at his domestic altar while the world burns
- PRUDEN: The scam that will not die
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- Robert E. Lee and 'Stonewall' Jackson tributes face Army War College removal
- Wasted: Tom Coburn's 'Wastebook targets 70 days in bed, Facebook
- Embassy Row: India strikes back over diplomat's arrest
- Zadzooks: The Joker sixth scale figure review (Sideshow Collectibles)
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Colorado revolt: 55 of 62 sheriffs refuse to enforce new gun laws
- Army to cut up to 4,000 captains and majors
- U.S. downplays Saudi prince's criticism of Obama's Middle East policies
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Television commentary, reviews, news and nonstop DVR catch-up by Lisa King Dolloff and friends.
Wall Street news for retail investors who want to know what's going on.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow