Briefly: Presidential loser leaves Egypt amid investigation

CAIRO — Ahmed Shafiq, Hosni Mubarak’s last prime minister and loser of the presidential runoff, left Egypt Tuesday with most of his family for the United Arab Emirates hours after the prosecutor general opened an investigation into allegations he wasted public funds during his eight-year term as a civil aviation minister in the ousted regime.

An airport official said Mr. Shafiq flew to Abu Dhabi at dawn with two of his three daughters and three grandchildren.

His campaign told the daily Al-Masry Al-Youm that he left for a short visit and he will return after doing a pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia. The campaign said he was planning to start a new political party.

The UAE has offered a haven to other members of Mubarak’s old regime. Earlier this month, the most senior old regime figure not jailed or on trial, former spy chief and Vice President Omar Suleiman, left for Abu Dhabi.

TUNISIA

Lawmakers protest Libya extradition

TUNIS — Opposition parties staged a walkout from Tunisia’s assembly Tuesday to protest the extradition to Libya of Moammar Gadhafi’s last prime minister.

The fierce debate in parliament, which culminated in an opposition walkout and defiant singing of the national anthem, is the latest repercussion over the extradition of Al-Baghdadi al-Mahmoudi, which has caused deep divisions in the North African country’s government.

On Sunday, the Prime Minister Hamadi Jebali implemented the decision of the courts and ordered that Mr. al-Mahmoudi be sent back to Libya, where the government that replaced the late Gadhafi wants to try him for a variety of crimes.

President Moncef Marzouki, a former human rights activist, however, had opposed the extradition on the ground that the former Libyan official risked torture or death.

YEMEN

Officials: Land mines killed 73 this week

SANAA — Land mines planted by al Qaada militants before they fled key southern Yemen strongholds have killed 73 civilians over the past week, Yemeni officials said Tuesday.

Engineering teams have removed some 3,000 land mines around Zinjibar and Jaar, according to the governor’s office in Abyan province.

Government troops captured both towns in a two-month offensive to uproot al Qaeda fighters from large swaths of land they captured during last year’s political turmoil. Mines left behind killed 73 residents, the officials said.

Story Continues →

View Entire Story
Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks