- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
McConaughey, 175 others asked to join film academy
LOS ANGELES (AP) - The Oscar-winning and nominated stars of "The Artist" and "The Help" have been invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
The film academy announced its roster of potential new members Friday. It includes best actor winner Jean Dujardin and supporting actress Octavia Spencer, along with nominees Berenice Bejo and Jessica Chastain.
Oscar-nominated "Bridesmaids" star Melissa McCarthy, "Albert Nobbs" supporting actress Janet McTeer, "A Better Life" star Demian Bichir and best director winner Michel Hazanavicius are also among the 176 moviemaking professionals asked to become academy members.
Academy president Tom Sherak called the invitees "some of the most talented, most passionate contributors to our industry."
Other actors on the list include Matthew McConaughey, Bryan Cranston, Kerry Washington, Jonah Hill and Andy Serkis.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- CPAC 2014: Rand Paul urges conservatives to fight for liberty
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- EDITORIAL: Connecticut revolts against gun controls that could criminalize 300,000
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Protests in Russia against Putin's actions in Ukraine a shift in attitudes
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again