- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes: Couple divorcing
Question of the Day
NEW YORK — Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are divorcing, bringing an end to one of Hollywood's most unexpected marriages, one that spawned euphoric couch-jumping on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" and endless speculation in the tabloids.
After five years of marriage, Holmes filed for divorced from Cruise on Thursday, said Cruise's lawyer Bert Fields.
"This is a personal and private matter for Katie and her family," Holmes's attorney Jonathan Wolfe said Friday. "Katie's primary concern remains, as it always has been, her daughter's best interest."
"Kate has filed for divorce and Tom is deeply saddened and is concentrating on his three children," Cruise's representative, Amanda Lundberg, told The Associated Press. "Please allow them their privacy to work this out."
Cruise, 49, wed the 33-year-old Holmes in 2006 in an Italian castle after publicly declaring his love on "The Oprah Winfrey Show." His starry-eyed celebration (in which he famously jumped on the studio couch) was a public display that forever after altered the moviegoing public's perspective of the action star.
The couple has a 6-year-old daughter, Suri, who has herself become a staple of the tabloids and celebrity magazines.
Their plan to divorce was first reported by People magazine.
Holmes appeared to have filed anonymously, a method of divorce filing legal in New York.
Cruise has two children with his previous wife, Nicole Kidman. The actor was also previously married Mimi Rogers.
This is Holmes' first marriage.
Cruise and Holmes had a whirlwind romance — the "Dawson's Creek" actress confessed she had a childhood crush on the "Top Gun" star — and were engaged at the Eiffel Tower. An elaborate wedding followed before a Church of Scientology minister.
"I can't be cool. I can't be laid-back," Cruise said on "The Oprah Winfrey Show." ''Something happened and I want to celebrate it."
But the couple's romance was instant fodder for the tabloids, who nicknamed them "TomKat" and chattered about everything from the couple's fights and Suri's shoes to Holmes' conversion to Scientology.
Cruise showed up alone to premieres for his new musical film "Rock of Ages." Holmes also was absent from an award ceremony earlier this month at the Friar's Club, where Cruise was given the fourth ever Friars Club Entertainment Icon Award.
Cruise said at the time that Holmes was overseas and the family would reunite in Iceland for Father's Day.
Cruise also recently starred in 2011's "Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol" and 2010's "Knight and Day."
Holmes' recent films include Adam Sandler's "Jack and Jill" and the made-for-TV movie "The Kennedys," in which she played Jackie Kennedy.
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Islamic militants seize Benghazi as U.S. evacuates Libya
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world