- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Judge: ‘Happy Days’ cast may be owed DVD royalties
Question of the Day
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Several former cast members of the “Happy Days” can argue to a jury that they are owed royalties from DVD sales of the hit series, a judge ruled Tuesday.
Superior Court Judge Elizabeth Allen White’s ruling Tuesday clears the way for a trial on whether actors Anson Williams, Marion Ross, Don Most, Erin Moran and the widow of Tom Bosley may still be owed royalties on the use of their images in DVD packaging.
CBS Studios and Paramount Pictures sought to have their claims dismissed, arguing the group was properly paid.
A trial is scheduled for mid-July, but it won’t feature series stars Henry Winkler and Ron Howard, who are not parties to the lawsuit.
The actors’ group initially sued CBS for $10 million in April 2011, claiming they were cheated out of royalties from from the sale of products including gambling machines, T-shirts, board games, greeting cards and drinking glasses.
Attorney Jon Pfeiffer says the group has received payments for several other types of merchandise and the unpaid royalties from DVD sales are worth an estimated $320,000.
He said he learned after filing the case that Winkler and Howard had been paid for merchandise rights, but it was unclear how much.
Defense attorneys declined to comment.
TWT Video Picks
By Isaac Orr
New carbon-dioxide rules would put America in the dark
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors