- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
A look at US Opens held at The Olympic Club
Question of the Day
Winner: Lee Janzen
Runner-up: Payne Stewart
Margin: 1 shot
Recap: Janzen joined the group of surprise U.S. Open champions at Olympic when he closed with a 68. Janzen was five shots behind going into the final round, and was seven shots out of the lead with two early bogeys. He was headed for another one at the par-4 fifth when his ball lodged in a tree. Janzen was headed back to the tee when it fell out, and he wound up chipping it to save par. Stewart gave up the lead with back-to-back bogeys early on the back nine, and he fell one shot behind with a bogey on the 16th. His 25-foot birdie putt on the 18th to force a playoff broke low of the cup. Stewart became the fourth 54-hole leader at Olympic who failed to win, closing with a 74. Tom Lehman played in the final group at the U.S. Open for the fourth straight year, shot 75 and tied for fifth. The low amateur was Matt Kuchar, who tied for 14th.
Winner: Scott Simpson
Runner-up: Tom Watson
Margin: 1 shot
By Rabbi Shmuley Boteach
- Obama calls GOP lawsuit over executive overreach a 'political stunt'
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- Veteran with concealed weapon turns tables on Chicago gunman
- Bush fixed bowling lanes that Obama wants to renovate
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Bloomberg: Pro-gun towns must lack roads
- Google Glass-equipped rifles can fire around corners: It's 'mind-blowing when you actually do it'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs