- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Ventura $1.8M in defamation case
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
- Hillary: ‘Dead broke’ comment was ‘inartful,’ but insists it was ‘accurate’
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
A look at US Opens held at The Olympic Club
Question of the Day
Recap: Hogan was in the locker room, his knee aching from the 36-hole day that put him at 287, and it looked certain he would win a record fifth U.S. Open. The only player still on the course with a chance was Iowa club pro Jack Fleck, who was two shots behind. Fleck made birdie on the 15th, got through the next two holes with par, and then hit a 7-iron to about 8 feet and holed it for birdie to shoot 67 and force an 18-hole playoff. That was the last thing Hogan and his battered legs needed. In the playoff, Fleck simply was relentless with his putter and accuracy. Hogan holed a 40-foot birdie putt on the eighth, and Fleck matched him from 8 feet. The Iowan rolled in a 25-footer on the ninth and was in control of the playoff all day. Hogan was one shot behind on the 18th when he pulled his tee shot into the rough and took two shots to get back to the fairway. Fleck shot 69 in the playoff to a 72 for Hogan. There were only seven rounds in the 60s all week. Fleck had three of them. Hogan never won another major.
Quote: “Boys, if I win it, I’ll never work at it again. It’s just too tough getting ready for a tournament. This one doggone near killed me.” _ Ben Hogan, sitting in the locker room at Olympic Club as Jack Fleck was on the back nine of the final round.
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- GOP Senate candidate: Obama needs to visit Central America
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- California's Jerry Brown cites God, 'religious call' to embrace illegals
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Appeals court upholds Obamacare tax as constitutional
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world