- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
Former Bronco won’t testify at sex assault trial
Question of the Day
CASTLE ROCK, COLO. (AP) - Former Denver Broncos cornerback Perrish Cox told a judge Thursday that he wouldn’t testify at his sexual assault trial, a decision that came after jurors saw video of him expressing shock that the alleged victim was pregnant and that he was accused of raping her.
Cox is accused of sexually assaulting a woman in his apartment over Labor Day weekend 2010. The woman testified Wednesday, saying she had a fuzzy memory of what happened that night and suspected she had been drugged after waking up feeling sick the next day.
In the portion of a videotaped interview that detectives did with Cox the night he was arrested, Lone Tree Police Department Detective Steve Hipp informs Cox that his DNA indicates he impregnated the woman. Cox then sits back and says, “Are you serious?”
“I never raped nobody,” Cox told the detective as both talked in a loud voice. “I’m losing it because, seriously, I never touched this girl.”
The interview ends with Cox asking: “I’m going to jail? You’re kidding me. What am I supposed to do? I didn’t.”
Prosecutors placed Hipp and another detective on the stand Thursday morning before finishing with their case. The defense rested its case shortly afterward and closing arguments were expected later Thursday.
Cox is being tried on one count of sexual assault while the victim was physically helpless and one count of sexual assault while the victim was incapable of determining the nature of the conduct. He faces two years to life in prison if convicted.
Prosecutors Chris Gallo and Bob Chappell presented a straightforward case: Cox denies having sex with the woman, who can’t recall having sex that night but became pregnant and Cox’s DNA matched the fetus.
Cox’s attorney, Harvey Steinberg has sought to paint a picture of drunkenness and failed sexual relations between Thomas and the woman, and possible sexual relations between the woman and Carthy Che, a woman Cox was dating at the time.
The Associated Press is not naming the woman because she is the alleged victim of a sex crime.
Both Thomas and the woman testified that they kissed during a car ride to Cox’s apartment from a nightclub and then kissed again while on an air mattress in Cox’s living room. The woman testified she doesn’t remember much after kissing Thomas.
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- DOJ investigates Norfolk parade float critical of Obama
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- NASCAR TV contract back to NBC in 2015, leaving ESPN, Turner Sports
- Google Glass-equipped rifles can fire around corners: It's 'mind-blowing when you actually do it'
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs