Syrian opposition fighters pulled out of a stronghold in the restive western city of Homs on Thursday, saying they did not have enough weapons to defend the civilians.
“The humanitarian situation is at its worst, as there is no food whatsoever, no medicines, no water and no electricity,” he said. “There is no communication in the area, thus making matters much worse. We are also lacking in enough arms to defend the civilians.”
Homs, a hotbed of the 11-month-long uprising against the Assad regime, has been under siege from Syrian troops since Feb. 4.
Internet and phone connections in Baba Amr remained cut off for a second day, and residents in other parts of Homs said they had heard loud explosions from the direction of the neighborhood earlier in the day.
Water and electricity to parts of the city have been cut off, and food and medical supplies are running dangerously low.
The lack of electricity made it difficult to operate the freezers in which the bodies of slain American-born journalist Marie Colvin and French photographer Remi Ochlik were stored. They were killed on Feb. 22, when the building where they were staying was shelled by Syrian troops.
“We have received the green light from the authorities to enter Baba Amr and take in food assistance and medical aid, and to try and evacuate as many wounded as well,” he said in a phone interview.
Syrian soldiers entered Baba Amr on Thursday afternoon as the opposition fighters melted away.
At least 27 people were killed in Baba Amr. The fighting had stopped by nightfall on Thursday, but residents said Syrian troops were destroying empty houses and cars.
“Every building that was not shelled before is now a target. No one can stop them,” said Mr. Ibrahim.
Thousands of residents have fled the neighborhood. Baba Amr’s population, which was originally 95,000, has dropped to around 6,000.View Entire Story
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Ashish Kumar Sen is a reporter covering foreign policy and international developments for The Washington Times.
Prior to joining The Times, Mr. Sen worked for publications in Asia and the Middle East. His work has appeared in a number of publications and online news sites including the British Broadcasting Corp., Asia Times Online and Outlook magazine.
By Elaine Donnelly
Extending sexual misconduct to combat units
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
Entertainment News and Reviews from Washington, D.C. and beyond.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention