You are currently viewing the printable version of this article, to return to the normal page, please click here.

Israel premier: Wider offensive if attacks persist

- Associated Press - Monday, March 12, 2012

JERUSALEM — Israel's premier says his military is prepared to "broaden operations" if Palestinians continue to fire rockets from Gaza.

Benjamin Netanyahu spoke as violence between Gaza militants and Israel continued for the fourth day.

The military "is ready to broaden its operations and will continue to act as necessary," Netanyahu said Monday, without elaborating.

The current violence erupted Friday, when Israel killed the leader of a Palestinian militant group in an airstrike.

Gaza militants have since fired more than 100 rockets at cities in southern Israel, where 1 million Israelis live, disrupting life there.

Israeli airstrikes have killed 23 Gazans, most of them militants, five on Monday. Two Israelis civilians have been seriously wounded by rocket fire.

Cease-fire efforts by Egypt have so far been unsuccessful.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.