Ricardo Teixeira out as head of Brazilian soccer

Question of the Day

Is it still considered bad form to talk politics during a social gathering?

View results

SAO PAULO (AP) - Ricardo Teixeira resigned as head of the Brazilian soccer federation and the 2014 World Cup organizing committee on Monday after a contentious 23-year stint in charge of the sport in the country.

The announcement ends an era that mixed success on and off the field for Brazil, with allegations that Teixeira took kickbacks from former FIFA marketing partner ISL in the 1990s.

The 64-year-old Teixeira, one of the most powerful men in Brazil, went on medical leave last week. Now, the Brazilian federation said he was leaving for good to look after his health and be with his family. Last year, he was hospitalized because of an intestinal inflammation.

Teixeira’s term had been expected to end in 2015. His letter of resignation was read by the new federation and organizing committee president, former Sao Paulo Gov. Jose Maria Marin. Teixeira said he was leaving with the “sense of mission accomplished.”

“It’s not easy to preside passion. Football in our country is associated with two things: talent and disorganization,” he wrote. “When we win, talent is praised. When we lose, it’s about disorganization. I did what was within my reach, sacrificing my health. I was criticized in the losses and undervalued in the victories.”

Former Brazil star Romario, now a congressman, had harsh words for Teixeira.

“Today we can celebrate,” Romario posted on his Twitter and Facebook pages. “We exterminated a cancer from Brazilian football. Finally, Ricardo Teixeira resigned.”

The 79-year-old Marin made headlines when he was filmed pocketing a winner’s medal at an under-18 tournament won by Corinthians. He later said the medal was given to him, and wasn’t accused of any wrongdoing by organizers.

Marin said nothing would immediately change at the federation or the World Cup organizing committee with him in command.

“It’s not a new administration,” he said. “It’s a new president, but the stupendous work that was being done by Ricardo Teixeira will continue.”

Brazil Sports Minister Aldo Rebelo said the change won’t interfere in the country’s preparations for the 2014 World Cup.

“We will continue working in harmony in the common tasks needed to be completed,” Rebelo said in a statement.

Some local federations opposed Marin as president and wanted to pick a successor through elections or by changing the federation’s statutes.

Teixeira had led the federation since 1989 and revamped the organization after it struggled financially. Under his command, Brazil won the 1994 and 2002 World Cups and the federation became one of the world’s richest.

“By bringing the 2014 World Cup, Brazil earned the privilege to host the biggest and most watched event in the world, becoming a player internationally, boosting its economy and bringing pride to the Brazilian people,” Teixeira said in the letter. “We substantially increased the profits of Brazilian football, developed its marketing and, mainly, we won.”

Story Continues →

View Entire Story

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Get Adobe Flash player