- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Horse racing drama ‘Luck’ proved too real for HBO
Question of the Day
Famed racing industry members voiced regret over the cancellation, although there had previously been mutterings from some about how “Luck” depicted the sport’s seedier side.
“It’s very disappointing. I was hoping it’d be a big hit. I feel bad for all the people they employed,” Bob Baffert, Hall of Fame trainer and three-time Kentucky Derby winner, said in Santa Anita’s daily stable briefing last week.
Marc Bekoff — a University of Colorado professor emeritus of evolutionary biology and author of “The Emotional Lives of Animals,” about animals in entertainment — reserves his sympathy for the horses.
Bekoff, who wants to see computer-generated imagery and other tricks used in place of filming with live animals, took a combined slap at racing and Hollywood.
“Horse racing in general suffers from a lot of questionable ethics,” Bekoff said. “Running staged encounters with these horses raises the same questions.”
Lynn Elber is a national television columnist for the Associated Press. AP Racing Writer Beth Harris contributed to this report.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world