- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
HURT: Seriously, can we all agree Ryan deserves our respect?
As thoroughly uninspiring as this endless Republican primary has been for conservatives in America, they can take some bit of solace in knowing one thing. At the very least, there is Paul Ryan.
OK, the Wisconsin Republican and House Budget Committee chairman can be about as exciting as gelatin and fails to whip up a soaring oratory that might spur people to storm the barricades for him. But he is a very serious man who has offered a very serious proposal, at enormous risk to himself, to fix the dire financial armageddon that will engulf our children and grandchildren for many decades.
Not only is Mr. Ryan a very serious man, but he is just about the only serious man in a position of power — albeit severely limited power — who is desperately trying to address this situation.
What is most shocking about Mr. Ryan’s solitary cry for fiscal responsibility in the 2013 budget he proposed this week is what a stark contrast it is to the cowards and thieves in this town who are in positions of real power and responsibility yet refuse to lift a finger to avert the economic catastrophe.
President Obama could single-handedly lead his party to negotiate with Mr. Ryan and strike a deal that would save the country and place him in history as one of the great presidents. Just the sort of big, “post-partisan” presidency he promised.
Instead, Mr. Obama has fled the field, piling a staggering $3.5 trillion in new debt over the next decade and hastening the demise of the entitlement programs. His only strategy is for the country to go fully broke like Greece and then confiscate any private wealth that might remain.
His only attempt at tackling the problem was empaneling the bipartisan debt commission, which he then promptly ignored because it required — shocker! — spending cuts.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi have behaved equally awfully.
Congressional Democrats have been so resolutely irresponsible that they have not even produced a budget in three years. Even when Democrats had 59 seats in the Senate, firmly controlled the House and occupied the White House, they could not produce a simple budget.
Truly, they are a party of Neros fiddling away over silly issues like free contraception while America burns to ashes. They are a disgrace and should be barred from any discussion whatsoever regarding the federal budget or the economy.
The Democrats should be allowed only to talk about contraception, since they’re just a bunch of pills that prevent anything from happening.
• Charles Hurt can be reached at email@example.com.
About the Author
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- HURT: The Rev. Al Sharpton: Once just a race hustler, now a snitching race hustler
- HURT: Baseball gives way to whine-ball
- HURT: Do liberals understand anything about operating a business?
- HURT: $75K a day over a pond: Your corrupt EPA thugs at work
TWT Video Picks
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.