- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Ahoy, matey!: Hugh Grant at ‘Pirates’ premiere
LONDON (AP) - Hugh Grant is stepping away from his usual romantic fare _ to walk the plank.
The British actor is starring in “The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists,” his first animated film role. He plays a pirate captain _ called Pirate Captain _ on a quest to win the Pirate of the Year Award.
He joined co-star David Tennant at the premiere of the latest adventure from Aardman Animations, creators of “Wallace and Gromit,” in London on Wednesday.
The “Notting Hill” actor admitted he doesn’t see many similarities between himself and his pirate persona.
“I looked at it and I thought “well I’m nothing like that, this is terrible casting.” So I actually had to adapt myself, and I had to do a bit of acting for once,” he joked.
Pirate Captain takes his crew, voiced by such British actors as Martin Freeman, Brendan Gleeson, Russell Tovey and Ashley Jensen, from Blood Island to London, helping Tennant’s scientist along the way.
On the red carpet, ex-“Dr. Who” star Tennant shared his excitement about being part of a film with such a big English cast:
“It is a bit like being called up for some sort of national service. You think ‘well, I am serving my country,’” he said. “Clearly that is an exaggeration, but you do feel like in terms of the acting establishment you’re being called out to bat and you don’t want to mess up.”
“The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists” opens in the U.K. on March 28 and in the U.S. on April 27 with the title “The Pirates! Band of Misfits.”
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back in phony 'war on women'
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Critics rail against liberal bias for commencement speakers
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.