- Associated Press - Wednesday, March 21, 2012

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - Boris Diaw got his wish _ he’s out of Charlotte.

The Bobcats announced Wednesday they’ve waived the veteran forward.

Diaw’s agent said Wednesday morning that his client reached an agreement on a contract buyout that will allow him to sign with another team.

Doug Neustadt said Diaw is leaving Charlotte on good terms but that “losing was tough this year and he really wants to be able to participate on a playoff team.”

The Bobcats have won only seven games this season, worst in the NBA.

Bobcats president of basketball operations Rod Higgins had no comment on the move.

Diaw was in the final year of his contract and still owed about $2 million of his original $9 million salary this season. It’s unclear how much money Diaw gave up to leave.

The 29-year-old Diaw had fallen out of favor with coach Paul Silas this season and barely played in the last three weeks, often listed as inactive. He only played twice over the past eight games.

He started 28 games this season and averaged 7.4 points and 5.3 rebounds.

“It was kind of known that Boris wanted to go somewhere else,” said Bobcats guard Gerald Henderson. “Boris has been one of my friends since I got into the league. I wish him the best. He will be great wherever he goes.”

Henderson said even though everyone knew Diaw wanted out, he was never a distraction in the locker room of a divisive presence.

“You have to continue to play with the guys we have,” Henderson said. “After he let it be known he didn’t want to be here anymore, you just kind of have to move on. So that’s what we did.”

Silas did not want to comment on Diaw’s departure.

“I’m not going to say anything about that,” Silas said. “We have to go straight up with who we have and we wish him well.”

However, earlier this month Silas was asked about Diaw’s reduced playing time.

Story Continues →