- N.Y. prosecutors: Russian diplomats bilked $1.5 million from Medicaid
- Happy Meal: Couple goes to McDonald’s, leaves with bag packed with cash
- Boehner: It took me 3 to 4 hours to sign up for Obamacare
- Oh my God! Costco lists Bible as fiction, Ron Burgundy memoir as gospel
- Sarah Palin responds to Martin Bashir’s resignation, praises media
- Obama to send 2 Gitmo terror suspects back to Algeria
- Paul Walker secretly bought $9K wedding ring for Iraq vet
- Mystery sign poster hits Washington state town: ‘It’s OK to say Merry Christmas’
- Pope Francis forms commission to advise on sex abuse
- Anthony Weiner on radio? Cumulus says, ‘Never, ever’
Shaka Smart staying at VCU; Illini search moves on
CHAMPAIGN, ILL. (AP) - Virginia Commonwealth basketball coach Shaka Smart on Wednesday ended speculation that he might take the open job at Illinois by announcing that he’ll stay with the Rams.
The decision by the young coach was cause for celebration among VCU fans and disappointment for their Illini counterparts _ Illinois’ search for a replacement for fired coach Bruce Weber has begun to resemble the search last year for a new football coach, when the school’s top choices reportedly turned down the Illini.
VCU said in a news release that Smart’s $1.2 million contract will be adjusted, but provided no details.
He said in the release that he appreciates VCU’s support of him and his staff.
“There are great things to accomplish at VCU and I’m looking forward to building on the successes of our program and university,” the 34-year-old Smart said.
At Illinois, Athletic Director Mike Thomas declined comment through a school spokesman.
Smart will bring back one of the country’s youngest teams. The Rams went 29-7 (15-3 in the Colonial Athletic Association) and were eliminated in the second round of the NCAA tournament this year after making an improbable Final Four run last season.
Neither school would say how much money Illinois offered Smart.
“So which stage of grief are we in right now?” one wrote.
“Still anger here,” came the quick answer.
In Chicago, where some of Weber’s toughest critics found ammunition in the fact that he didn’t land the basketball-rich city’s top players, an AAU coach with a number of former players on the Illini roster said Smart’s decision would likely fuel skepticism about both Thomas and the Illini program.
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare
- Hack attack: 2 million Facebook, Twitter passwords stolen
- Obama returns to class warfare as poll numbers plunge
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality: liberal group
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- Democratic infighting erupts over 'we can have it all' fantasy on entitlements
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- American teacher shot and killed at Benghazi international school
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- At minimum, a bad deal
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Happiness is attainable. Morning to night. I love to teach, deal with folks that have an issue and really wish to tackle it and write.
Film Reviews and Articles by Kevin Williams
A collection of reader guest articles, thoughts and opinions by Communities writers and breaking news and information.
The cold hard truth about politics in America today and the state of this once great nation.
White House pets gone wild!