- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Resale of the week: Updated Tudor in Arlington’s Lyon Village
Whether you are part of a young family with children, an empty-nester with time to experience the delights of city living or a young professional with plenty of energy for work and play, Arlington’s Lyon Village neighborhood may be right for you. Just outside the District, this community encompasses plenty of parks, playgrounds, shops, restaurants and nightlife along with access to Georgetown and downtown Washington via Metro and several commuter routes.
The single-family homes in Lyon Village can be found in a variety of styles, adding an eclectic charm to the neighborhood. The home at 3179 Key Blvd., on the market for $1,135,000, is a Tudor-style home built in 1935.
Residents of this home can walk to the Clarendon Metro station, to a dog park and to Lyon Village Park, which has a tot lot, a water-spray park, picnic tables, and tennis and basketball courts. Also within walking distance are numerous shops, restaurants, coffee shops, grocery stores and Iota, a popular music venue.
The home has been renovated and expanded since 1935, including a kitchen remodel in 2006 and a family-room addition in 2004. Improvements have been made to the property, including a new roof, central air conditioning, a new chimney lining and a sump pump.
Professional landscaping enhances the back and front yards, and the property includes a flagstone front walk that leads to a flagstone front porch with a beadboard ceiling.
A driveway with space for additional parking leads to the two-car garage, which has a second-story space available for extra storage. This finished storage room can easily be heated and air-conditioned for conversion to a private office, art studio or in-law suite.
The back of the house has a wraparound deck with lighting and a Brazilian Ipe floor, plus steps that lead to the back lawn.
Inside, this home includes many historical architectural details, such as chair-rail molding, wood trim around the windows and doorways, refinished wood floors and glass doorknobs. New sections of the home have been designed to complement the older areas for a seamless renovation.
The wood front door opens into a foyer with original refinished oak floors that extend into the living room and dining room. Newer hardwood flooring has been installed in the kitchen and family room.
To the right of the foyer is the formal living room, which has a wood-burning fireplace with a brick hearth, surround and mantel. At the front of this room is a triple window facing the front lawn, while two side windows flank the fireplace. The wood blinds and window treatments in the living room and dining room convey to buyers. The adjacent formal dining room includes windows on two sides, a chandelier and hardwood flooring.
Nearby are the open kitchen and family room, the “command central” of this home, where the family gathers and friends can enjoy casual evenings. The renovated kitchen includes stainless steel appliances and black granite counters, with maple cabinets and recessed lighting. A double window over the kitchen sink adds natural light, and storage is maximized with a pantry and open shelving tucked under the corner of the kitchen counter.
The family-room addition features a dramatic wood ceiling with exposed wood beams that meet in the peaked center of the room, where a ceiling fan gently stirs the air. The family room includes walls of built-in cabinets and bookcases and a built-in desk under one of two sets of double windows. The windows’ wood trim matches that in the living room. Between the two sets of windows is a sliding glass door that leads to the wraparound deck. The family room also has a soapstone wood stove.
The main level also has a coat closet and a full bath with honeycomb tile flooring, a pedestal sink and a shower with a rain-style shower head and a subway-tile surround. Nearby is a side door to the driveway.
Upstairs, the master bedroom has windows on two sides, two cedar closets and hardwood flooring. The upper level has two additional bedrooms, including one at the front of the house with two cedar closets and windows on three sides. The third bedroom has windows on two sides of the room and a cedar closet. These three bedrooms share a renovated full bath off the hall with a pedestal sink, tile walls and subway-tile flooring in a nod to the architectural style of the home.
The finished lower level has hardwood flooring, recessed lighting, a beadboard ceiling and a hall closet with shelving. The adjacent recreation room offers plenty of natural light through five windows on two sides of the room. This room has hardwood flooring, wainscoting on the walls and an exposed wood-beam ceiling, plus a wood-burning fireplace with a brick mantel and surround. An adjacent enclosed wet bar includes a pass-through to the recreation room.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Hillary swoons at admitted illegal immigrant: 'Wow,' you're 'incredibly brave'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.