- Running on empty: EPA slashes biofuel goals because of ethanol shortage
- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
Cardinals ace Chris Carpenter out indefinitely
The Cardinals made the announcement Friday, after Carpenter was evaluated in St. Louis this week. The team says there is no new nerve injury and the cervical disc injury that occurred earlier in spring training is a “non-issue.”
The 2005 NL Cy Young Award winner is expected back in camp by Monday, but there is no timetable for his return to the mound.
Carpenter, who turns 37 next month, pitched the Cardinals to World Series championships in 2006 and 2011. The right-hander was 11-9 with a 3.45 ERA last year, leading the NL in innings (237 1-3) and starts (34). He threw 36 more innings in the postseason, going 4-0 with a 3.25 ERA in six starts.
Carpenter previously had nerve issues in the shoulder in 2004 when he missed the postseason, and in 2008.
He had been scheduled to pitch on opening day, a spot that will be taken by Kyle Lohse.
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Russian bombers buzz U.K. airspace; jets scrambled to chase off 'Bears'
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- ISTOOK: Obama's sleight of hand hides hidden government's work
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014