- Jimmy Carter’s grandson makes gains in governor’s race in Georgia
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al Qaeda training camps
- Easter worshippers shocked as car rams church, injuring 21
- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
Briefly: Ontario’s top court legalizes brothels
Ontario’s top court legalizes brothels
TORONTO — A ban on brothels puts prostitutes at risk and is unconstitutional, Ontario’s top court ruled Monday in a case that is expected to be appealed to Canada’s top court and have ramifications for the country at large.
The Ontario Court of Appeal said prostitutes should be allowed to work safely indoors.
At the same time, the court said concerns about the nuisance created by street prostitution are real, having a “profound impact on the members of the surrounding community.” So it upheld the ban on soliciting for the purposes of selling sex.
Prostitution itself is not illegal in Canada, but pimping, operating a brothel and communicating for the purposes of selling sex are considered criminal acts.
No problem with U.K. over nixing of ship visit
President Ollanta Humala said in an interview with the Peruvian television station Panamericana that “there is no impasse, no problem in the diplomatic relations between Great Britain and Peru.”
Mr. Humala said in the interview Sunday night that the cancellation of the visit is an “issue relating to the present situation.”
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- In Colorado, a marijuana holiday tries to go mainstream
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- See the scathing documents detailing $600 billion squandered in Afghanistan
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.