- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: ‘None of your business’
- Producers eye Capitol Hill for latest reality TV hit
- No selfie awareness: Obama, Biden mug for Instagram as Ukraine implodes
- Putin to Snowden: We don’t collect droves of data on everyone like the U.S.
- Clemson football’s new opponent: Atheists upset with player prayer, Bible study
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s re-election launch party will be ‘history in the making,’ brother says
- Louisiana group hits back at Sen. Mary Landrieu campaign ad with ‘Actress Mary’ spot
- Brain surgery victim struggles with Obamacare: ‘It’s scary’
- Pro-Russian forces storm Ukrainian national guard base; 3 killed
- Joe Biden’s first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
Briefly: Ontario’s top court legalizes brothels
Ontario’s top court legalizes brothels
TORONTO — A ban on brothels puts prostitutes at risk and is unconstitutional, Ontario’s top court ruled Monday in a case that is expected to be appealed to Canada’s top court and have ramifications for the country at large.
The Ontario Court of Appeal said prostitutes should be allowed to work safely indoors.
At the same time, the court said concerns about the nuisance created by street prostitution are real, having a “profound impact on the members of the surrounding community.” So it upheld the ban on soliciting for the purposes of selling sex.
Prostitution itself is not illegal in Canada, but pimping, operating a brothel and communicating for the purposes of selling sex are considered criminal acts.
No problem with U.K. over nixing of ship visit
President Ollanta Humala said in an interview with the Peruvian television station Panamericana that “there is no impasse, no problem in the diplomatic relations between Great Britain and Peru.”
Mr. Humala said in the interview Sunday night that the cancellation of the visit is an “issue relating to the present situation.”
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- NAPOLITANO: Hope for the dead and freedom for the living
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- PETA officials collide with deer
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Celebrity deaths in 2014