- - Monday, March 26, 2012

Late-night host Jimmy Kimmel just got a prime-time gig: host of the Emmy Awards.

The star of “Jimmy Kimmel Live” will host the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony Sept. 23 at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles, according to the Associated Press.

“I hope to be able to do for the Emmys this year what Eddie Murphy did for the Oscars,” Mr. Kimmel joked, referring to the comic actor who pulled out as host of this year’s Academy Awards. This is Mr. Kimmel’s first time hosting the Emmys.

Mr. Kimmel’s namesake show is in its 10th season on ABC. He previously hosted the American Music Awards and the ESPY Awards and is set to host the White House Correspondents’ Dinner next month.

ABC also announced that director and producer Don Mischer will executive produce the Emmy telecast. Mr. Mischer recently directed and produced the Academy Awards. This is his 12th time at the helm of the Emmys.

He said he’s “thrilled” to produce the Emmys again.

“We love television and look forward to working with the television academy and ABC in creating a show that is fast-paced, humorous, unpredictable, and at times irreverent, but clearly celebratory of our incredible industry,” Mr. Mischer said in a statement Monday.

ABC Family gets rights to air ‘Hunger Games’ films

On the heels of “The Hunger Games’ ” record-setting $155 million opening weekend, ABC Family has landed the sought-after TV rights to the Lionsgate film, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

As part of the pact, the Disney-owned cable network also will get the network premiere rights to “Catching Fire,” the second film in the “Hunger Games” franchise, set to hit theaters Nov. 22, 2013. The films will begin airing in 2014, joining a collection of movies including the “Harry Potter” franchise and upcoming series “Bunheads,” “Baby Daddy” and “Beverly Hills Nannies” on the network’s schedule.

The hotly anticipated “Hunger Games” - adapted from Suzanne Collins’ trilogy of young-adult books, of which there are 26 million copies in print - generated the third-biggest opening weekend at the domestic box office behind only “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2” and “The Dark Knight.”

Woman charged in break-in at Cowell home

A woman accused of breaking into Simon Cowell’s house wielding a broken brick and then hiding in the entertainment mogul’s wardrobe appeared in a London court Monday.

Leanne Zaloumis, 29, was charged with aggravated burglary after the incident Saturday night, the Associated Press reports.

Prosecutors said Mr. Cowell was watching TV in the bedroom of his London mansion when he heard a loud bang coming from his bathroom and discovered Ms. Zaloumis inside with a brick.

Story Continues →