LONDON (AP) - British police investigating a phone hacking scandal that led to the closure of a leading tabloid said Tuesday they have released a suspect from bail.
Metropolitan Police said Tuesday they will take no further action against the 39-year-old man, who was arrested Aug. 18 at a London police station last year.
The man was not identified, but Britain's Press Association reported he is James Desborough, the former editor for the U.S. of Rupert Murdoch's defunct News of the World.
Desborough, who won the 2009 British Press Award for show business reporter of the year, was arrested on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications.
Murdoch closed the tabloid in July after evidence emerged that it had illegally eavesdropped on dozens of people in its quest for scoops. More than 40 people have been arrested by police investigating phone hacking and corruption.
Justice Brian Leveson is leading a prolonged inquiry into corrupt British press practices.