- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
Inside the Beltway: Bowling, brats and burgers for presidential hopefuls
NOT SO CREDIBLE
The fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman has caused many things, from personal tragedy for family members to protest marches, endless speculation, charges, countercharges, cultural moments and wall-to-wall news. Have those stories been equitable? No, says a National Review insta-poll of about 12,000 readers: 97 percent agreed that press coverage has not been fair.
DOGS BEHAVING BADLY
Or is it owners behaving badly? Embrace Pet Insurance has revealed the five “craziest” things that mostly dogs have eaten in their zeal to be, well, dogs. And yes, the company paid out on the claims. First came Isabella, a golden retriever who ate marijuana-laced cookies and became ill; the claim was $1,476. Sasha the Samoyed ate a razor, and the owner received $1,452; Peanut the Labrador wolfed down marbles, and the claim payment was $312. A Bernese Mountain Dog named Regan ate a soft toy, resulting in a $157 payment, while Sappho, a rogue Russian Blue kitty, ate part of a bra. The owner got $121.
“Pets are inevitably going to get up to devious escapades,” observes Laura Bennett, founder of the New York-based company, who adds that all critters survived just fine.
POLL DU JOUR
• 58 percent of American women support Mr. Obama, 38 percent support Mr. Romney.
• 94 percent of Democratic men and 93 percent of Democratic women support Mr. Obama.
• 93 percent of Republican men and 89 percent of Republican women support Mr. Romney.
• 85 percent of liberal men and 93 percent of liberal women support Mr. Obama.
• 72 percent of conservative men and 70 percent of conservative women support Mr. Romney.
• 42 percent of independent male voters and 52 percent of women independents support Mr. Obama.
• 47 percent of independent male voters and 39 percent of women independents support Mr. Romney.
Source: A Pew Research Center survey of 1,168 registered U.S. voters conducted March 7-11 and released Thursday; the sample included 602 women and 586 men.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Inside the Beltway: An agenda-free Easter
- Inside the Beltway: A Hillary-free 2016 would confound Democrats
- Times wins two awards from Society for Professional Journalists
- George P. Bush - son of Jeb - the lead figure in the Bush political push for now
- Inside the Beltway: The appeal of 'strong America'
Latest Blog Entries
- A startling 20 percent of Democratic lawmakers already endorse Hillary Clinton for president
- Hey food police: calling obesity a 'disease' is actually a health risk
- Cheese and an 'enhanced experience': White House goes showbiz on the State of the Union address
- Cruz calls it a 'circus': the State of the Union spectacle begins
- Half of American fans say God and 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events
TWT Video Picks
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.