- House passes VA reform compromise
- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Make government live within its means
Question of the Day
As I understand it, Sen. Tom Coburn’s amendment to cut government waste received 64 votes in 2011, but got only 52 votes this year (“Senate backs Obama in pipeline rejection,” Web, March 8). Last year, the bill did not get out of committee, and this year, 12 Democrats who last year voted yes switched to no. If that amendment had passed last year, the combined savings for 2011 and 2012 would have been an estimated $300 billion.
Furthermore, those savings would continue to accrue in future years. President Obama refuses to recognize that the government is receiving considerably more than its “fair share.” Government expenditures should be pushed back down to 18 percent of gross domestic product. Only after that happens can we consider addressing the need for additional revenue to pay down the debt, which should never have been incurred in the first place.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Exchanges reveal an ugly American abroad out to bring down conservatives
Get Breaking Alerts
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop silence on relocations of illegal aliens
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: If Israeli laid down its arms
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Temple Mount is still Judaism's holiest site
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Laws should target criminals, not the law-abiding
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Politics and corruption driving water woes