- U.S. Navy admiral ‘receptive’ to giving Chinese tour of carrier
- Islamic State orders female genital mutilation for Mosul girls, U.N. says
- Israeli fire hits U.N. facility in Gaza, killing 15
- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
- Pro-Palestinian protesters attack Israeli soccer team in Austria match
- Virginia police: 2 dead after storm at campground
- Ukrainian prime minister announces resignation
- House members question $17 billion VA request
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo launches statewide task force to collect LGBT data
- Obama’s motorcade prevents woman in labor from crossing street to hospital
Resale of the week: Silver Spring rambler with panache
Question of the Day
A modest 1950s brick rambler in Silver Spring has been transformed over the years into a sprawling, eye-catching Arts and Crafts-style home. An in-ground pool and studio annex above the garage add to the home’s appeal.
The house, located in the Springbrook Forest community, has five bedrooms and four full baths. It first was expanded in 1993, when the current kitchen and family-room spaces were added. Another round of major renovations took place in 2001, when the owners added a master suite and updated several bathrooms.
Covering more than an acre, the parklike setting includes a professionally landscaped yard with gardens, flagstone patios, a swimming pool, hot tub, deer fencing in the rear and plenty of outdoor entertainment spaces.
This unique brick-and-stucco house at 511 Stonington Road is on the market for $1,275,000.
With 4,370 square feet of space and three finished levels, the home is much larger than it appears at first glance.
A flagstone walkway leads to the front entry. From oak floors throughout the entire main level to custom-designed molding to stained-glass windows, this level is impressive.
The casual living room off the foyer doubles as the billiards room. It has handmade Italian pendant lights and two stained-glass sconces. The nearby formal dining room has a bay window with a cozy tiled window seat for a scenic view of the yard.
The light and airy family room is where family members and guests will want to spend the most time as the weather gets warmer because it overlooks the in-ground pool and patio. Two skylights are set within the high cathedral ceiling, and custom stained-glass windows and wall sconces are rich accents. There’s also a wood-burning fireplace with a black slate hearth.
Nearby is a custom kitchen that was renovated in 2008 to include a host of stylish and functional upgrades. The kitchen is well-lit both day and night, thanks to skylights with adjustable sunshades, a custom stained-glass window and six pendant light fixtures.
There’s ample storage and counter space, as the kitchen has walls of custom cherry cabinetry, a 10-foot black quartz breakfast bar and a pantry. Appliances include a gas cooktop and double convection wall ovens. Additionally, there are two dishwashers and two oversized stainless steel sinks that help make entertaining and clean-up a breeze.
For easy main-level living, there’s a separate wing for three bedrooms on the first floor. Each room has a ceiling fan and is painted in warm neutral tones. The rooms share an expansive updated bathroom with travertine tile, a granite-topped antique vanity and a deep bath-shower combination.
A second full bath and rear mudroom round out the first floor. This room also serves as the back entry and has ceramic floors, a closet and convenient built-in storage cubbies with wicker baskets.
The sumptuous master suite added in 2001 occupies the second floor. This master bedroom has oak floors, a walk-in closet, a separate heat pump, gas water heater and a thermostat-controlled attic exhaust fan to reduce cooling expenses in the summertime.
The master suite also has a travertine tiled bathroom with an oversized double shower and separate soaking tub. Granite counters and two skylights help turn the bathroom into a luxurious retreat.
The last bedroom is found on the finished lower level and works great as an in-law suite or guest room as there’s a separate full bath with travertine tile flooring nearby.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq