- Motolotov cocktail thrown a Brooklyn mini-mart
- 3 Americans dead in shooting at Kabul hospital by Afghan guard
- Running on empty: EPA slashes biofuel goals because of ethanol shortage
- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
Movie Scores: How the critics rated the new movies
The Greek gods may be able to take down mythical beasts, but they can't win over film critics, as "Wrath of the Titans" opens this week to largely negative reviews.
The 3-D sequel to 2010's "Clash of the Titans" finds the demigod Perseus (Sam Worthington) living a quiet life as a fisherman after tackling the Kraken. But he's dragged back into a power struggle between his father, Zeus (Liam Neeson), Hades (Ralph Fiennes) and Ares (Edgar Ramirez). AP Entertainment Writer Jake Coyle gave the movie two stars out of four, calling it "a charmless stream of battle and fight sequences that contorts mythic characters into blockbuster conventions."
On the other end of the spectrum is the documentary "Bully," which critics have received positively. It follows about a half-dozen families with kids who've been the targets of humiliation and abuse at school. AP Movie Critic Christy Lemire gave it two and a half stars out of four, saying: "As the mother of a 2-year-old boy, I'm glad `Bully' exists. As a film critic, I wish it were more accomplished."
Here's a look at how these movies and others fared on the top review websites as of Friday afternoon. Each score is the percentage of positive reviews for the film:
_ "Bully": Metacritic, 76; Movie Review Intelligence, 78.7; Rotten Tomatoes, 97. Average: 83.9.
_ "Goon": Metacritic, 64; Movie Review Intelligence, 63.7; Rotten Tomatoes, 77. Average: 68.2.
_ "Mirror Mirror": Metacritic, 47; Movie Review Intelligence, 53.5; Rotten Tomatoes, 53. Average: 51.2.
_ "Wrath of the Titans": Metacritic, 37; Movie Review Intelligence, 50.1; Rotten Tomatoes, 24. Average: 37.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- CURL: Obama's foreign policy even worse than his domestic policy
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Jimmy Carter: Dont hurt Russian people with sanctions
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014