- 6-year-old boy suspended for sexual harassment over kiss
- Voters deciding Mass. congressional contest
- WestJet grants Christmas wishes for 250 airline passengers
- U.S. vet held in North Korea says statement was coerced
- NTSB hearing on San Francisco airliner crash postponed
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford insists he has dried out, vows sobriety test
- Greenpeace video warns that climate change is wrecking Santa’s home
- Herman Cain profiled in ‘Political Power’ comic book
- Hagel renews Qatar defense pact despite differences over Iran, Syria
- Fire departments fear Obamacare will gut volunteer ranks
Briefly: Scottish cardinal hits plans for gay marriage
He called the plans “a grotesque subversion of a universally accepted human right” and said the government’s backing for marriage to include gay couples is “madness.”
Prime Minister David Cameron has advocated gay marriage. Britain’s equalities minister will launch a consultation this month on how to change the legal definition of marriage to include same-sex couples.
While Cardinal O’Brien conceded that arguing in favor of “traditional” marriage “risks one being labeled an intolerant bigot,” he said changing the definition of marriage would “deliberately” deprive children of the right to a mother or father and “shame the United Kingdom in the eyes of the world.”
Cardinal O’Brien also cast doubt on government assurances that churches would not be forced to perform gay marriages: “Imagine for a moment that the government had decided to legalize slavery but assured us that ‘no one will be forced to keep a slave,’ ” he said. “Would such worthless assurances calm our fury? Would they justify dismantling a fundamental human right?”
“I think it is a completely unacceptable way for a prelate to talk,” she told the BBC. “The government is not trying to force Catholic churches to perform gay marriages at all. It is a purely civil matter.”
The Home Office said Sunday that the government believes that “if a couple love each other” and want to commit to a life together they should “have the option of a civil marriage irrespective of their sexual orientation.”
Socialists riled by European ‘snub pact’
The conservative leaders of Britain, Germany, Italy and Spain agreed not to meet Mr. Hollande because of his promise to renegotiate an EU stability pact, Germany’s Der Spiegel magazine said in its edition to be published Monday.
Der Spiegel said that right-wing European leaders were “scandalized” by Mr. Hollande’s declared intent to renegotiate the budgetary discipline pact signed Friday that they consider key to saving the debt-stricken eurozone.
The right-wing wall of silence allegedly also would have been agreed to bolster the re-election chances of incumbent conservative President Nicolas Sarkozy, Der Spiegel said.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whiskey: U.K.-born expert
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- PRUDEN: Waiting for Nelson Mandela without the tears
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- Troops forced to rely on welfare, holiday charity
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro at Nelson Mandela's funeral
- Oregon fails to sign up single person on health care website as states struggle
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Notes from a running nerd: musings and more on all things running.
NFL junkie Eric Golub reports on his favorite obsession. There is no football offseason. Every February he pretends to care about other sports while sobbing uncontrollably each Sunday until September.
The cold hard truth about politics in America today and the state of this once great nation.
The world impacts us. What happens in our towns, cities, states, country and on this planet makes a difference to us.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow