- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Inside China: Security spending tops defense
Question of the Day
The nation’s desire for a clear answer about Mr. Bo’s fate was partially, yet artistically, satisfied when He Guoqiang, the top prosecutor of the Communist Party’s internal discipline organization and a member of the all-powerful Politburo Standing Committee, went to the Chongqing delegation Saturday morning to make an important statement about the weather: “Comrades from Chongqing have just told me a few minutes ago that the weather in Chongqing and the weather in Beijing at this moment are very different,” Mr. He said.
“This year,” he announced, “cold weather in Beijing lasts longer than usual. But right now, we are in a good period of seasonal transition, especially with a long dry span and a lack of rain and snow. And in Beijing temperatures in the morning and in the evening change greatly. I wish all of you from Chongqing give sufficient attention to guarding yourself against cold air, keeping yourself warm, and mind your own health.”
The comments are viewed by observers as clearly more about politics than the weather, as shown by the unprecedented prominence given to Mr. He’s weather talk in state-run press. The entire weather talk was printed by the People’s Daily, Xinhua and all other major state-run media, further adding to the mystique.
Mr. He’s weather comments became an instant sensation nationwide and went viral on Chinese Internet.
• Miles Yu’s column appears Thursdays. He can be reached at email@example.com.
About the Author
Miles Yu’s column appears Fridays. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Eugenie Bouchard pulls out of D.C.'s Citi Open
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq