- Obama downplays IRS scandal, blames Obamacare rollout on ‘outdated’ agencies
- Pregnancies decline overall, up among older women
- Pentagon plans to destroy Syrian chemical arms on ship at sea
- Paris Metro issues ‘politeness manual’ to improve passengers’ behavior
- Justin Bieber, crew detained at Australian airport in drug search
- Lee Rigby trial: Muslim who machete-hacked soldier calls it ‘humane’ kill
- GM ending Chevy sales in Europe to focus on Opel and Vauxhall
- Putin’s diplomats to U.S. busted for living high life off $1.5M bilked from Medicaid
- Happy Meal: Couple goes to McDonald’s, leaves with bag packed with cash
- Boehner: It took me 3 to 4 hours to sign up for Obamacare
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Danger of brokered GOP convention
The specter of a brokered Republican convention to choose a presidential nominee to challenge President Obama in November exists because the ultra-conservative wing of the Republican party is concerned that a Massachusetts moderate, Mitt Romney, may win the party’s presidential nomination. These people would prefer anyone but Mr. Romney and favor the hard-right social conservative Rick Santorum above Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul in their affections.
They would do well to ponder the lesson of 1964 when the darling of the conservative wing, Mr. Conservative himself, Barry Goldwater, defeated the Eisenhower establishment candidates Nelson Rockefeller and William Scranton for the nomination. Goldwater promptly led the Republican Party to electoral disaster against an incumbent liberal. Sound familiar?
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality: liberal group
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- Obama returns to class warfare as poll numbers plunge
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- CARSON: Getting to the top by starting at the bottom
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- Russian diplomats busted bilking $1.5 million from Medicaid
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- U.S. debt jumps a record $328 billion tops $17 trillion for first time