- - Thursday, March 8, 2012

Plenty of Washington-area residents enjoy a Sunday visit to the historic Piedmont horse country to ogle the expansive equestrian estates, sip wine at a local vineyard or enjoy a stroll on the charming streets of Middleburg, Va.

One of these perennial visitors has an opportunity to become a permanent part of this bucolic region, now that the Maples, a 60-acre Civil War-era estate is on the market.

The Maples was built in 1853 by William Sutton for Joshua Fletcher and his wife, Eliza. The home stayed in the Fletcher family until 1999 when Andy Stevens, an associate broker with Long & Foster Real Estate, and his wife, Michele, manager of Long & Foster’s Middleburg office, purchased the property.

Mr. and Mrs. Stevens meticulously restored the main manor home as well as eight other buildings on the estate, bringing the historic structures to life while upgrading them with 21st-century technology and amenities. The estate, at 33688 John Mosby Highway in Upperville, Va., is on the market for $5,300,000.

The Stevenses discovered myriad historic treasures as they restored the property, including the original handwritten deed for the property that was recorded in 1835. An original spinning wheel and a dining table also were uncovered, along with the original contract between the builder and Joshua Fletcher.

Many of the home’s original parts have been restored, including the 1½-inch-thick four-panel cherry doors found in nearly every room. The seven fireplaces in the home are all original, along with the outside shutters. Many of the windows and casings, hardware and wood in the manor home also are original.

The Maples’ history is revealed throughout the home, including a bullet hole in the original kitchen door that landed there during the Battle of Unison in the fall of 1862. A report from the New York Times in November 1862 says Maj. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart was having dinner at the Maples when it was hit.

During the Maples restoration, the Stevenses reused materials, such as bricks from the basement to restore brick walkways around the house, and they milled paneling, molding and other wood trim from pine and other wood found in the barns on the property. The renovation required the removal of 15 tons of plaster from the first-floor ceilings and 2-foot-thick stone walls so new plumbing and electrical systems could be installed. Many of the original light fixtures were electrified.

A circular driveway flanked by mature maple trees leads to the manor house, which has deep porches on the first and second levels. The original front door opens into a foyer with pine flooring and a hallway leading to the back of the house, which has a porch with views of pastures and the Blue Ridge Mountains. The back of the main house has a swimming pool, a hot tub, a patio and walkways to the outer buildings on the property. The property is bordered by Panther Skin Creek and surrounded by hundreds of acres of pastures and historic battleground property protected by a conservation easement.

The redesigned manor home includes a rear expansion with a gourmet kitchen, a powder room, a home office and a closet. The main level includes a front parlor, a library and a dining room with a hand-painted mural on all four walls that depicts the views surrounding the Maples.

Upstairs, the Stevenses combined two bedrooms to create a master suite with a bedroom, a dressing area, closets and a private bath. Two additional bedrooms, each with a fireplace, were restored and updated with custom-designed storage space and a media column with Internet access and a high-definition TV that conveys to the new owner. A second full bath also was added.

The grounds include another stone house that has been renovated and converted into a two-bedroom guest house with a kitchen, a dining area, a family room and the original stone fireplace. Upstairs, vaulted ceilings expose the original wood beams. In addition to the two bedrooms, this level has a laundry room and a luxury bath with a whirlpool tub and a glass shower.

The original summer kitchen in the guest house has been converted into an office with multiple phone lines and high-speed Internet access, along with an upper-level sleeping area or den.

The fully restored three-level fieldstone barn includes two large stalls and storage space, while another nearby barn has a tack room. Additional buildings have been restored to use for equipment storage, a woodworking shop and a potting shed.

For more information or an appointment to view the Maples, contact associate broker Andy Stevens at 703/568-0727 or andy.stevens@inf.com or visit www.ExtraordinaryProperties.com.