- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Reese Witherspoon: Parents at odds over new marriage
Question of the Day
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Actress Reese Witherspoon’s mother has filed a petition of annulment to wipe out her husband’s recent second marriage.
The couple has been separated since 1996, but remains married and still attends family functions together, including their daughter’s March 2011 marriage.
The filing alleges John Witherspoon’s new wife Tricianne Taylor has tried to take out loans as Mrs. John Witherspoon, lives in his condo, has had him sign a new will and drives a vehicle without permission from a family corporation run by Reese Witherspoon.
Mary Elizabeth Witherspoon, a 63-year-old nurse at Vanderbilt University hospital and a retired Tennessee State professor, says she “loves her husband and does not want a divorce” after 42 years of marriage to the 70-year-old otolaryngologist. She also says in the filing she “fears he may be suffering from early onset of dementia,” and she has filed a restraining order to stop Taylor from converting any of the family’s assets.
A May 31 court hearing has been scheduled in Davidson County Circuit Court.
Mary Elizabeth Witherspoon says in the filing she found out about her husband’s Jan. 12 marriage to Taylor from a wedding announcement that appeared in The Tennessean newspaper. She says she confronted her husband about the marriage and he said he didn’t recall marrying Taylor, who did not respond to a letter from Mrs. Witherspoon about the situation.
She says in the filing she fears for the safety of her husband and her family and that Mr. Witherspoon has several medical conditions such as heart disease and diabetes that if improperly treated could lead to his death.
The Witherspoons have not lived together in more than 15 years. Mrs. Witherspoon says in the court filing she moved out because of her husband’s “alcoholism, infidelity, overspending and hoarding.” She says he still has trouble with overspending, noting he owns five motorcycles and five boats.
Associated Press writers Shelia Burke and Caitlin R. King in Nashville contributed to this report.
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Calif. dolls were meant to spread cheer, not chill
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq