- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
A new dad, Braden Holtby’s focus unwavering on eve of Game 7
Goalie won’t let fatherhood become a distraction against Rangers
Question of the Day
“I think he’s proven himself. He’s able to shrug off these big distractions,” Brouwer said. “He’s been able to put those things aside, and he’s been able to play real well on big stages.”
Yeah, but now Holtby’s a father after his fiancée, Brandi Bodnar, gave birth to son Benjamin Hunter on Thursday.
“That too,” Brouwer said.
Holtby was back thinking about hockey Friday and quick to turn focus back to the Washington Capitals’ biggest game of the season on Saturday night, the decisive game of their Eastern Conference semifinal series. He even politely asked reporters to move on to hockey questions following a discussion about his life-altering event.
“It was planned so it would be the least amount of a distraction to our team as possible,” Holtby said. “It was a great day. Mom and baby are doing great. But now I’m focusing on hockey.”
Holtby has been unflappable in these playoffs, putting up a 1.95 goals-against average and .935 save percentage, all along knowing his first child was on the way.
“It’s kind of been the worst kept secret and the biggest secret at the same time,” veteran right wing Mike Knuble said. “Guys aren’t worried even though it can be a big distraction, and it is. It is a distraction, there’s no denying that and it’s a big time in his life and I’m sure it will always be memorable and now even more so.”
Holtby is the fourth Caps player to become a first-time father this season, joining Matt Hendricks, Jeff Halpern and Keith Aucoin.
For Hendricks, the biggest challenge was spending the night in the hospital and jumping on a train to join his teammates for a game at the New Jersey Devils.
“It’s obviously a very important time for him and a great time,” Hendricks said. “You just got to put it behind you now and focus on the game, on hockey. It’s hard to do.”
The consensus was that going to New York on Friday night helps, allowing Holtby to get a full night’s sleep and prepare mentally for Game 7. The 22-year-old admitted he was more nervous about Brandi giving birth than he was about a winner-take-all, season-on-the-line hockey game.
“It’s a busy time in his life, but Braden’s done a great job handling it, keeping his composure,” forward Brooks Laich said, “and he’s played very, very well for us.”
Karl Alzner said players flooded Holtby’s phone with congratulatory text messages, and Laich shook his hand to wish him the best Friday morning. No one was surprised that Holtby handled these few days with such poise.
“The guy’s got enough pressure on him already that he has something like this to deal with this too. He seems to be great. Everything went fine, and we’re all so pumped up for him,” Alzner said. “It is an exciting time for him, and we hope to make it exciting for a little while longer.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- WHYNO: Tomas Vokoun gets unexpected Stanley Cup shot with Penguins
- Brandon Meriweather, Redskins' secondary ready for bounceback year
- Kirk Cousins embraces role as Redskins' offseason starter as RG3 rehabs from injury
- Capitals notes: Realignment won't prompt roster remake
- Despite Caps' first-round playoff exit, Adam Oates' first season as coach left a positive taste
Latest Blog Entries
- Redskins injury updates (5/23): WR Pierre Garcon, CB Josh Wilson each had labrum surgery
- Capitals 'love' Matt Hendricks, but how much?
- Wojtek Wolski signs in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League
- Tom Poti won't return to Capitals, plans to continue his NHL career
- Is Tom Wilson ready to be a regular for Capitals?
President wants everyone but himself to pay more
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Ted Nugent loses second casino gig for 'racist remarks'
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq