- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
- HUMPRHIES: The Liberal Bully of the Week is …
- Secret Service threatened to kill Mr. Met if he got close to President Clinton, book claims
- Sarah Palin to campaign for Senate candidate Ben Sasse in Nebraska
- Boise business entices customers to come break stuff — ‘recreational destruction’
- Fired Yahoo exec’s $60 million golden parachute may be a record
- Arkansas gynecologist snapped nude photos of patients, police say
- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: ‘None of your business’
- Producers eye Capitol Hill for latest reality TV hit
Pope enjoys concert conducted by Muti at Vatican
VATICAN CITY (AP) - Maestro Riccardo Muti conducted a concert of selections of sacred music by Vivaldi and Verdi at the Vatican for an appreciative Pope Benedict XVI Friday in a celebration of the seventh anniversary of the pontiff’s election to the papacy.
When the concert, with Muti conducting Rome’s Teatro dell’Opera, was finished, Benedict lavished praise on the Italian maestro, who kissed the pope’s hand. Benedict bestowed a red box with a symbol of the Great Cross of St. Gregory the Great, a high pontifical honor.
Benedict praised Muti’s “intense interpretation” of Vivaldi and hailed both his `sensibility for sacred music” and his determination to make the genre more well-known.
Napolitano gave the pope a musical score of a solemn Mass from the early 19th century and a “valuable” violin, the Vatican said, without describing the instrument.
Benedict is known for playing classical music, especially by Mozart, on the piano, to relax.
Muti thanked Benedict for the compliments.
Benedict, 85, has recently used a cane in public but on Friday walked steadily with no cane in sight.
(This version corrects that gift of musical score dates from 19th century but violin just described as “valuable.”)
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- Brewer signs 1 of 4 pro-gun bills passed Wednesday
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.