- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- Sen. Claire McCaskill to tackle sex assault at college next
- Judge’s order preserves NSA surveillance records
- Refurbished Pollock masterpiece goes on display
- Iditarod becomes mad dash for Nome
- ‘Burger King baby’ now seeks birth mom on Facebook
- Study: 2 percent of Americans have new hips, knees
- Friend: Pistorius shot gun out car without warning
- States wrestle with developing, restricting drones
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
Bulls’ Rose undergoes surgery to repair torn ACL
While the team said in a statement that more information on his prognosis will be provided next week, there’s a good chance Rose will miss the early portion of next season.
Rose was injured late in a playoff-opening win over Philadelphia on April 28, with Chicago leading by 12. He came to a jump stop in the lane with the 76ers’ Spencer Hawes and Lavoy Allen rotating toward him, and his leg buckled. He still went up again and passed to Carlos Boozer in midair before crashing to the court, sending a chill through the arena and setting a bad tone for the Bulls.
Without its leading scorer, Chicago lost the series in six games.
That certainly wasn’t what the Bulls envisioned after capturing homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs for the second straight season despite a long list of injuries. They were eyeing another big run after losing to Miami in the Eastern Conference finals last season but bowed out early, becoming the second No. 1 seed in as many years to fall in the first round.
As if Rose’s injury wasn’t bad enough, the Bulls lost center Joakim Noah to a sprained left ankle in Game 3 and fell into a 3-1 hole before injecting some drama back into the series. They looked as if they were about to force a seventh game with a one-point lead in the closing seconds Thursday, but that changed when C.J. Watson passed to Omer Asik on a break rather than keep the ball.
Asik missed two foul shots before Andre Iguodala drove the length of the court as the defense parted and made both free throws after getting fouled by Asik to give Philadelphia a 79-78 victory.
Rose averaged 21.8 points and 7.9 assists, but it was a difficult season. The MVP a year ago, he missed 27 games because of groin, back, toe, foot and ankle problems that general manager Gar Forman has said did not lead to the ACL tear. Although the Bulls went 18-9 without him during the regular season, they weren’t the same once he went down in the playoffs.
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- President Obama goes 'Between Two Ferns' to pitch Obamacare
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- CPAC 2014: Despite Ben Carson's speech, gay marriage mostly took a back seat at CPAC
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Hard-fought congressional election in Florida is seen as a bellwether
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again