- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Bulls’ Rose undergoes surgery to repair torn ACL
While the team said in a statement that more information on his prognosis will be provided next week, there’s a good chance Rose will miss the early portion of next season.
Rose was injured late in a playoff-opening win over Philadelphia on April 28, with Chicago leading by 12. He came to a jump stop in the lane with the 76ers’ Spencer Hawes and Lavoy Allen rotating toward him, and his leg buckled. He still went up again and passed to Carlos Boozer in midair before crashing to the court, sending a chill through the arena and setting a bad tone for the Bulls.
Without its leading scorer, Chicago lost the series in six games.
That certainly wasn’t what the Bulls envisioned after capturing homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs for the second straight season despite a long list of injuries. They were eyeing another big run after losing to Miami in the Eastern Conference finals last season but bowed out early, becoming the second No. 1 seed in as many years to fall in the first round.
As if Rose’s injury wasn’t bad enough, the Bulls lost center Joakim Noah to a sprained left ankle in Game 3 and fell into a 3-1 hole before injecting some drama back into the series. They looked as if they were about to force a seventh game with a one-point lead in the closing seconds Thursday, but that changed when C.J. Watson passed to Omer Asik on a break rather than keep the ball.
Asik missed two foul shots before Andre Iguodala drove the length of the court as the defense parted and made both free throws after getting fouled by Asik to give Philadelphia a 79-78 victory.
Rose averaged 21.8 points and 7.9 assists, but it was a difficult season. The MVP a year ago, he missed 27 games because of groin, back, toe, foot and ankle problems that general manager Gar Forman has said did not lead to the ACL tear. Although the Bulls went 18-9 without him during the regular season, they weren’t the same once he went down in the playoffs.
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Brewer signs 1 of 4 pro-gun bills passed Wednesday
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.