Vatican mystery intensifies

Probe of girl missing since ‘83 leads to mobster’s tomb in Rome

Question of the Day

What has been the biggest debacle on Obama's watch?

View results

ROME — Forensic police swarmed the crypt of a Roman basilica on Monday to exhume the body of a reputed mobster as part of an investigation into one of the Vatican’s most enduring mysteries: the 1983 disappearance of the teenage daughter of a Vatican employee.

Medical experts took samples from the remains of Enrico De Pedis, but also found boxes of old bones nearby, according to a De Pedis family lawyer, reviving speculation that Emanuela Orlandi may have been buried alongside him.

Orlandi was 15 when she disappeared in 1983 after leaving her family’s Vatican City apartment to go to a music lesson in Rome. Her father was a lay employee of the Holy See.

De Pedis, a member of Rome’s Magliana mob, was killed in 1990. His one-time girlfriend reportedly has told prosecutors that De Pedis kidnapped Orlandi, and an anonymous caller in 2005 told a call-in television show that the answer to Orlandi’s disappearance lay in his tomb.

Amid a new push to resolve the case, the Vatican said last month it had no objections to opening the tomb.

The scene Monday outside the Sant’ Apollinare basilica was hectic, with television cameras jostling for views inside the chapel and the adjacent courtyard of the Opus Dei-run Pontifical Holy Cross University, where forensic vans came and went.

An overwhelming stench filled the air as medical personnel in white pantsuits and masks mingled with priests in black clerical garb and ducked into a blue tent where samples of De Pedis‘ remains were believed to have been brought.

Lorenzo Radogna, a De Pedis family attorney, told reporters outside that investigators had found some 200 “containers” with bones near De Pedis‘ tomb, and that they would be tested in the coming days and weeks. Initially, the ANSA news agency reported the boxes had been discovered in the casket itself but later said they were found nearby.

Orlandi’s brother, Pietro, who was at the scene, said samples from the body had been taken for further tests and the tomb reclosed. He said the corpse was in relatively good condition, and there was only one body - that of a male - inside.

There had initially been speculation that Emanuela Orlandi’s kidnapping was linked in some way to an assassination attempt on Pope John Paul II, which had occurred two years earlier, and the jailing of the gunman, Ali Agca.

Doubts also have been cast on whether the Vatican itself had cooperated fully with the investigation.

In 2008, Italian news reports quoted De Pedis‘ ex-girlfriend as telling prosecutors that Orlandi had been kidnapped by the Magliana gang on the orders of Archbishop Paul Marcinkus, the late U.S. prelate who had headed the Vatican bank and was linked to a huge Italian banking scandal in the 1980s.

Marcinkus had always asserted his innocence in the scandal, and the Vatican at the time of the allegation said the woman’s claims had “extremely doubtful value.”

In a lengthy statement last month, Vatican spokesman the Rev. Federico Lombardi insisted the Holy See had done everything possible to try to resolve the case.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks