- N.Y. prosecutors: Russian diplomats bilked $1.5 million from Medicaid
- Happy Meal: Couple goes to McDonald’s, leaves with bag packed with cash
- Boehner: It took me 3 to 4 hours to sign up for Obamacare
- Oh my God! Costco lists Bible as fiction, Ron Burgundy memoir as gospel
- Sarah Palin responds to Martin Bashir’s resignation, praises media
- Obama to send 2 Gitmo terror suspects back to Algeria
- Paul Walker secretly bought $9K wedding ring for Iraq vet
- Mystery sign poster hits Washington state town: ‘It’s OK to say Merry Christmas’
- Pope Francis forms commission to advise on sex abuse
- Anthony Weiner on radio? Cumulus says, ‘Never, ever’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Consequences of redefining marriage
With regard to Jeffrey Kuhner’s “Obama’s homosexual America” (Commentary, May 11), if marriage is no longer limited to one man and one woman, then how does the state, as matter of reason and “equal rights” exclude polygamy, polyandry, the marriage of adults and children, the marriage of close relatives, and even more bizarre combinations?
Many summarily dismiss these possibilities, but many once dismissed homosexual “marriage” as an impossibility. If once you admit that marriage need not be limited to a man and a woman, then why shouldn’t any combination of consenting persons be allowed to marry? If 10 consenting women want to marry one man, then why not? If five consenting men and three consenting women want to “marry,” then why not? If a 12-year old girl, who already has the legal right to have an abortion, wants to marry a 50-year old man, then why not?
There are valid societal and moral reasons (if moral arguments can be asserted anymore) for prohibiting these kinds of “marriages,” but once marriage loses its special status, the burden is on the state to articulate why other forms of “marriage” ought to be invalid.
There are consequences to redefining marriage and we, including many who want to be considered “sophisticated” but aren’t accustomed to thinking about what this really means, had better be prepared for all of them.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare
- Hack attack: 2 million Facebook, Twitter passwords stolen
- Obama returns to class warfare as poll numbers plunge
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality: liberal group
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- Democratic infighting erupts over 'we can have it all' fantasy on entitlements
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- American teacher shot and killed at Benghazi international school
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- At minimum, a bad deal