- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
D.C. mourns Chuck Brown
Chuck Brown, the "Godfather of Go-Go" and a native D.C. son, died Wednesday at Johns Hopkins University Hospital in Baltimore. He was 75.
His manager Tom Goldfogle said in a statement that Brown died from multi-organ failure brought on by sepsis.
On Mr. Brown's Facebook page, which counted more than 63,000 fans, a message from his family stated that his legacy "will live on through all of you who have supported him and his creation of Go-Go. His passion, inspiration and drive have always come from his family and fans."
D.C. Mayor Vincent C. Gray said the city would have been a difference place without the musician.
"Go-Go is D.C.'s very own unique contribution to the world of pop music," Mr. Gray said. "I am thankful that I had so many opportunities to witness Chuck's singular talent in person, and I enjoyed each performance immensely."
D.C. Council Chairman Kwame Brown likened Brown's connection of Go-Go with the District, to jazz and New Orleans.
"He put Go-Go on the map, and made it cool and accessible to multiple generations of Washingtonians and Americans," he said.
Among some of Brown's most famous songs are "Bustin' Loose" and "We Need Some Money."
Brown was scheduled to perform at the newly renovated Howard Theatre but cancelled due to illness.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- No rest for the retired: Cardinal McCarrick on a mission for peace in Africa
- The sun also rises on Easter in the District
- Higher Ground: Colbert the Catholic
- Feeling taxed today? How about a prayer to St. Matthew?
- 'Matzah Factory' provides hands-on experience for learning about Passover
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- WILLIAMS: Bill Maher, comedian or bigot?
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Vulnerable Democrats must 'run their own race'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back vs. phony 'war on women'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.