- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Conversion home: Treetop views at Rosslyn co-op
Question of the Day
If you lived in Washington in the 1970s, you may have enjoyed an Italian feast - as well as a feast for the eyes - at the Bella Vista restaurant overlooking the Potomac River in Rosslyn. This penthouse-level restaurant, which closed in 1982, occupied the top of a cooperative community now known as River Place.
You’ll have to cook your own pasta if you live there today, as the restaurant has been converted into eight co-op units with amazing views of the Washington Monument, the Potomac River and the Iwo Jima Memorial.
Now known as the Vistas at River Place South, these eight luxury homes feature 10-foot ceilings and floor-to-ceiling walls of windows that frame river and city views. River Place has 1,650 units within several buildings along the shores of the Potomac and within walking distance of the Rosslyn Metro station. River Place South is two blocks from the Metro station, and residents also can walk across Key Bridge into Georgetown for shops, restaurants, movies and nightlife.
Closer to home are multiple shops and restaurants in the Rosslyn business district and some popular nightspots, such as the Continental Modern Pool Lounge, which has pool and pingpong tables, Skee-Ball, shuffleboard and arcade games. Artisphere, also within walking distance, includes four performance spaces, three art galleries and a ballroom, plus a variety of free and paid events.
Residents can take Metro into downtown Washington for work and play or head in the opposite direction to enjoy restaurants, shops and nightlife in Clarendon and Ballston.
River Place offers a range of amenities for homeowners, including an Olympic-size swimming pool, a fitness center, a sauna, a Jacuzzi, a theater, a meeting room, game tables, a barbecue area and a staffed concierge desk. Co-op fees include a secure gatehouse, 24-hour lockout and emergency services, a master insurance policy, reserve funds, and all utilities, including wireless Internet access. A market, a hair salon, a dry-cleaning service and a children’s play area are on the community’s grounds.
The eight penthouse homes in the Vistas at River Place South, priced from $395,000 to $595,000, have 697 to 1,457 finished square feet. Co-op fees vary by unit and average $650 per month.
Each home has a gourmet kitchen with stainless steel appliances and granite counters custom-cut to match a contoured architectural light shelf above. Each home has sustainable bamboo hardwood flooring and tile flooring in the baths, designer ceiling fans and a washer and dryer.
Unit 1114, with 710 square feet, is priced from $445,000. This home has a double-door closet and an open kitchen and breakfast bar off the foyer. The breakfast bar rests at the edge of the main living and dining area, which has walls of windows facing the D.C. skyline. This home has a large bedroom with a wall of windows framing the same view and also has a walk-in closet. In addition, there are a den, a closet with laundry equipment and a full bath with a combination tub and shower.
Unit 1117, with 932 square feet, is priced from $475,000. This home has an open living and dining area with a Juliet balcony and a breakfast bar opening into the kitchen. At one end of this home is a den, while the opposite end has two bedrooms and two full baths, one with a shower and the other with a combination tub and shower.
The largest home, Unit 1102, has 1,457 finished square feet and is priced from $595,000.This home has a terrace that wraps around most of the unit, a fireplace and an open living and dining area with a breakfast bar. This home has three bedrooms and two full baths.
For more information or directions to the Vistas at River Place South, contact Waqas Ali, managing member of the co-op, at 703/650-0633 or visit www.VistasDC.com.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- KING: "Man-caused disaster" on the southern border
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq