- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
GOP Senate hopes once again rest on insurgents
“These results set up a promising general election match-up between Bob Kerrey, a proven independent leader, and Deb Fischer, an untested hypocritical politician whose record and positions have never been scrutinized,” said Matt Canter, a spokesman for Senate Democratic campaign arm.
Kerrey, a former governor and two-term senator, is the Democratic nominee in Nebraska, returning to the state after 10 years as a university president in New York City. In Indiana, Democratic Rep. Joe Donnelly is the party’s Senate nominee after two terms representing a swing district in the House.
Mourdock is a former geologist who ran for office several times before being elected state treasurer in 2006. He’s now won two terms in statewide races and endeared himself to the state’s most conservative voters after challenging Chrysler’s bankruptcy bailout in a case that reached the U.S. Supreme Court. He also survived an onslaught by Lugar, who spent millions on ads attacking him. Democrats contend that his stance on the Chrysler bailout will hurt him in a state with a large force of auto industry workers.
Fischer used her background to her advantage, playing up a “ranch girl” persona.” But she scoffs at the idea that she’s a political novice.
“Some folks seem to think I came out of nowhere in this race,” she said. “I have been a state senator for eight years. But more importantly than that, I’ve been involved in a number of organizations in the state for 30 years. I’m not an unknown.”
Nebraska Gov. Dave Heineman, one of the state’s most popular Republicans, calls Fischer “one of the most effective lawmakers we’ve ever had.”
Local Democrats say the party would be foolish to dismiss her, even if she is deeply conservative.
“So many times, I’ve called her the Michele Bachmann of Nebraska, but she won’t say stupid things like Bachmann has,” said Democratic Party donor Bud Pettigrew, referring to the former presidential candidate and Minnesota congresswoman.
Pettigrew, who also is a neighbor of Fischer‘s, adds: “I don’t like her ideas, but I’m not going to underestimate her. She’s extremely intelligent.”
“If you’re an establishment figure, whether it’s (former French President Nicolas) Sarkozy or an establishment Republican in Nebraska, you’re in trouble,” said Alex Castellanos, a Republican consultant.
• Associated Press writers Margery Beck in Omaha, Neb., and Grant Schulte in Lincoln, Neb., contributed to this report.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Crystal Wright is a black conservative woman living in Washington, D.C.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow