Jay Penske’s team finds engines for 2 cars

Question of the Day

Should Congress make English the official language of the U.S.?

View results

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Jay Penske risked his whole Indianapolis 500 race program on finding two new engines before qualifying began.

The risk paid off for his team — and race organizers.

A deal made Thursday in Indy will give Penske’s two drivers, Sebastien Bourdais and Katherine Legge, the dominant Chevrolet engines for the rest of the season and was a big step toward making sure the Indy 500 will start with its traditional 33-car field.

Penske did it by ending his contentious relationship with Lotus, including dropping a $4.6 million lawsuit against the engine manufacturer. He was released from his contract with Lotus and got approval from IndyCar officials to make the switch.

After a week of negotiating, it’s all done.

“It was nice to see them push it out of the pit box and we all cheered when he was pulling out,” Legge said after Bourdais shook down her car early Thursday. “It was definitely a step in the right direction.”

Penske did not provide additional details about the agreement.

He said Chevy jumped in when it realized there may be a problem and helped the team get league approval to make the switch. The two engines, Penske said, arrived at his team garage overnight.

But that leaves Penske with no backup engine or plan if something goes awry between now and when the track closes Sunday afternoon. It’s a gamble worth taking because Indy now has driver-car combinations on the track, enough to fill the traditional starting grid — but no more — for Sunday’s Bump Day.

“We are pleased to see this issue resolved as we head into the final practice days in advance of qualifying,” IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard said in a statement. “I have to thank all parties for working together to help preserve the traditions of the Indianapolis 500.”

Penske said the two sides had been close to an agreement for the past week, though final details weren’t worked out until Thursday morning. Most in Gasoline Alley thought Penske’s father, Roger Penske, would help him get something worked out with Chevrolet. The younger Penske said that never happened.

“As he much as he wanted to help, he stayed on the sidelines,” Jay Penske said.

The move also ends a frustrating week for Bourdais and Legge, who were relegated to studying tape and asking questions to prepare for IndyCar’s biggest race of the season.

Penske’s garage was empty last week when the originally scheduled rookie orientation program began and stayed that way until crew members moved tire sets into the garage Sunday afternoon. On Tuesday evening, Legge’s No. 6 TrueCar entry and Bourdais‘ No. 7 car moved in and by the next day crew members had covered the embroidered Lotus name and logo on their shirts with black tape.

Series officials wanted Legge, a rookie, and Bourdais, who last drove at Indy in 2005, on the track before drivers get a boost of power for Friday’s practice and this weekend’s qualifying. It finally happened Thursday morning.

Story Continues →

View Entire Story

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus