- U.S. Army hails success with drone-shooting laser
- John Kerry: Israel-Palestinian peace deal paved for April
- India diplomat who touts women’s rights busted for $3 wage to nanny
- MSNBC host Ed Schultz paid $252K by unions in 2012-2013
- Korean War memorial ordered to take down Christian cross
- Billy Graham near death, ‘close to going home to be with the Lord’
- SeaTac, Wash.: City’s new $15 minimum wage heads to court
- Obama mulls support for Islamists in Syria, with conditions
- Obama ‘birther’ theories float, as Hawaii health director killed in crash
- U.S. drone faulted for killing 14 ‘innocent civilians’ at Yemen wedding
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Declining America?
America is in a state of decline, and may have reached an irreversible tipping point. Due to a major shift in cultural dynamics and significant changes in demographics, America is experiencing an irreversible decline. This decline is both economic and moral in nature.
The response to violent urban riots serve as a good example of this decline. During the 1965 Watts riots in Los Angeles, looters and rioters were shot on the spot. Civil insurrection and looting were not tolerated. In 1992 during the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles, looters were allowed to freely enter and exit businesses with merchandise, and burn widespread parts of the city to the ground, with no interference from law enforcement. During Hurricane Katrina’s looting in 2005, some law enforcement personnel actually participated in the looting. Have the rules of society changed during these years? You bet they have.
In large part these changes result from an increased entitlement/welfare culture that exists in American society. The Judeo-Christian ideals that inspired traditional American cultural and political and moral values are on the wane. A liberal, progressive, secular and permissive cultural trend has undermined the central core of these traditional American values.
While enough Americans with a traditional sense of values may temporarily arrest this decline, I believe that the current demographisc and cultural pattern spell decline for America in the long run.
North Las Vegas, Nev.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Memories of a long brotherhood tempered in common struggle
Get Breaking Alerts
- U.S. Navy-China showdown: Chinese try to halt U.S. cruiser in international waters
- House budget bargain faces Senate filibuster; Republicans line up to oppose
- Obama birther theories float, as Hawaii health director killed in crash
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- North Korea's official report on Jang Song Thaek
- Billy Graham near death, close to going home to be with the Lord
- PRUDEN: The last living witnesses; they wore the yellow star and remember the Nazi terror
- James Bond: The spy who is really an alcoholic
- Kim Jong-un consolidating power or losing grip on North Korea's military