- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Declining America?
America is in a state of decline, and may have reached an irreversible tipping point. Due to a major shift in cultural dynamics and significant changes in demographics, America is experiencing an irreversible decline. This decline is both economic and moral in nature.
The response to violent urban riots serve as a good example of this decline. During the 1965 Watts riots in Los Angeles, looters and rioters were shot on the spot. Civil insurrection and looting were not tolerated. In 1992 during the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles, looters were allowed to freely enter and exit businesses with merchandise, and burn widespread parts of the city to the ground, with no interference from law enforcement. During Hurricane Katrina’s looting in 2005, some law enforcement personnel actually participated in the looting. Have the rules of society changed during these years? You bet they have.
In large part these changes result from an increased entitlement/welfare culture that exists in American society. The Judeo-Christian ideals that inspired traditional American cultural and political and moral values are on the wane. A liberal, progressive, secular and permissive cultural trend has undermined the central core of these traditional American values.
While enough Americans with a traditional sense of values may temporarily arrest this decline, I believe that the current demographisc and cultural pattern spell decline for America in the long run.
North Las Vegas, Nev.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- WILLIAMS: Bill Maher, comedian or bigot?
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters